Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune  Oh, yeah, the supplements.  I take a multi and a few others.  I try to limit them and base them on what my blood tests say, what my doctor says and my medical history.  Most of the sun I get is when I go out to do yard work.  I try not to go out for very long on the sunniest days because I do not tolerate heat well.

I have meal bars and Ensure around that I have on occasion.  I try to have milk, cheese, yogurt and beans around.

I would like to go out dancing again.  That's something I miss.  With my balance the way it is, I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that again like I used to.  It's been that way for over a year now, so I'm thinking this could be permanent.  Some days are better than others though.  One day I did dance and Milo ran and hid in his pigloo.  I might be a little out of practice.

Yesterday I was at PetSmart and saw that they had guinea pig costumes.  I kind of doubt Milo would cooperate, so I don't think I'll waste money on that.  I also got groceries, went to the bank, etc.  It was good to get out of the house.  It was only for 3 hours, but it felt like a full day to me.

I've kept rats as pets before.  They have been some of the sweetest and smartest little pets I've ever had.  I would love to have a rat again.  Not sure if the ones out by your feeder are friendly or not, but maybe one or two of them could shack up here for awhile.  LoL

Image result for sleeping rat with teddy bear

@mistriTsquirrel

What a cute picture!!  Look at those sweet little paws!  The baby rats I saw might be potential Milo sidekicks.  They are young enough to become little pets!  I'll box them up and send you a few. . .  I've heard that pet rats are very smart and cuddley.  Also, they are supposed to be clean.

I'm so glad you got out of the house for a bit.  It's amazing what a change of scenery can do, even though it's just to PetSmart.  Did you take Milo?  I keep thinking that I need to get out walking again.  I did have a daily routine walking every night for 30 minutes.  After my back started hurting, I stopped.  It's amazing how fast you lose muscle tone, etc., when you're just lying around.  I must find a motivation to get back out there!!!  When I get on the scale, that might just do it!!!

I have BPPV and sometimes I get dizzy when I lie down or get up too fast.  It got much better after going through physical therapy.  I know what movements cause it and am careful.  Poor Milo!  If you scared him with your dancing, he may never be the same!!!

baby rats.jpg

Respected Contributor

I was on antidepressants  for 3 years.  My dr is far away and could not get back in so prescription did not get renewed.  Sam-e  works great fo rdepression and you can get it at walmart, cvs, target... etc.  It is  crazy expensive to.  20 to 40 dollars for a months worth

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune  Those are your rat babies?  They're so young, and that doesn't look like much of a nest.  Poor kids.  Yes, box them up.  I'll take a half dozen to go.  heh

How often does Jasper take you on walks?  I found that it was easier to motivate myself to walk when there was a dog around to take.  Maybe it's because of how excited they get over a stupid walk.  Man, I wish I could get excited about walking!!  I get nervous about walking because of the light-headedness and because of the tier 3 sex-offender living close by.  Somehow being nervous is just not the same as being excited.

Yeah, I think I may have scared Milo.  I can't dance like he can.  No, I did not take him to PetSmart.  He doesn't like to ride in the car, even if we are going to Mamaw's house (my mom's).

Speaking of my mom...I honestly feel like my head is going to explode sometimes when I have to deal with her.  I don't know how much more I can stand.  I hope she does not try to call me within the next day or two, because I am pretty much at my limit.  I am so angry that I can barely see straight.  She always has terrible advice to thrust upon me and insists that I take it, and that's really just the tip of the iceberg. 

I'm currently trying to figure out what excuse I'll give her for why I don't want to talk to her on the phone, should she call.  I want to rip the phone cord out of the wall and turn off my cell, but I know she'll just drive over here if I don't answer.

I know this is the time right before the big blowout, because that is what always happens.  I stuff my feelings and avoid reacting to her b.s., but then there comes a time when I just can't take it anymore and I blow my top.  I honestly don't know how to diffuse this, because even if I avoid her for a week it will just continue to build after that week has passed.

I wish I could run away for awhile.

Image result for squirrel hobo

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

I was on antidepressants  for 3 years.  My dr is far away and could not get back in so prescription did not get renewed.  Sam-e  works great fo rdepression and you can get it at walmart, cvs, target... etc.  It is  crazy expensive to.  20 to 40 dollars for a months worth

Thanks, @kcladyz!  Smiley Happy 

I have heard of Sam-e.  I've been having medical problems lately...not sure if I should add anything new or not.

It's definitely something I would look into if I was not on an anti-depressant right now.  I feel like what I'm on now is helping, although I will probably need to go up to a higher dose.

I'm glad it has helped you.  $20-$40 a month isn't really that bad for something that helps you function, and you don't have to pay co-pays for doctor appointments to get it, so that is good too.

Respected Contributor

Sorry if I am repeating myself, don't know if I posted this before. My daughter suffers from depression that does not respond to meds. She did a treatment called TMS for six weeks daily. This machine stimulates receptors in the brain that are needed to counteract depression. There was a delayed reaction to her improvement. About a month after she was done we saw improvement in her mood. 

Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune  Those are your rat babies?  They're so young, and that doesn't look like much of a nest.  Poor kids.  Yes, box them up.  I'll take a half dozen to go.  heh

How often does Jasper take you on walks?  I found that it was easier to motivate myself to walk when there was a dog around to take.  Maybe it's because of how excited they get over a stupid walk.  Man, I wish I could get excited about walking!!  I get nervous about walking because of the light-headedness and because of the tier 3 sex-offender living close by.  Somehow being nervous is just not the same as being excited.

Yeah, I think I may have scared Milo.  I can't dance like he can.  No, I did not take him to PetSmart.  He doesn't like to ride in the car, even if we are going to Mamaw's house (my mom's).

Speaking of my mom...I honestly feel like my head is going to explode sometimes when I have to deal with her.  I don't know how much more I can stand.  I hope she does not try to call me within the next day or two, because I am pretty much at my limit.  I am so angry that I can barely see straight.  She always has terrible advice to thrust upon me and insists that I take it, and that's really just the tip of the iceberg. 

I'm currently trying to figure out what excuse I'll give her for why I don't want to talk to her on the phone, should she call.  I want to rip the phone cord out of the wall and turn off my cell, but I know she'll just drive over here if I don't answer.

I know this is the time right before the big blowout, because that is what always happens.  I stuff my feelings and avoid reacting to her b.s., but then there comes a time when I just can't take it anymore and I blow my top.  I honestly don't know how to diffuse this, because even if I avoid her for a week it will just continue to build after that week has passed.

I wish I could run away for awhile.

Image result for squirrel hobo

@mistriTsquirrel

Actually, those aren't MY rat babies.  Mine are older and have their eyes open.  They are much cuter.  Their "nest" is down one of the many holes that mama rat excavated!

Because of you, I walked last night!!  I was so proud of myself!  I had a little light headedness but it didn't get worse.  I think I might have felt better just getting my blood flowing!  I'm starting out slowly, though.  When Jasper comes once a week, I always take him for a walk.  He insists that we go!  It's his favorite thing, I think.  He'll sit and stare at me until we go.  It's a little easier than my evening walks, because he stops often to sniff messages from other critters!  But, if he lived with me, I would go every day.  Maybe you could get a little halter and leash for Milo!

How do you find out if there are sex offenders near you?  What is a tier 3?  I don't know if I want to know.  I have several weird neighbors, though!?!

It almost seems as if your Mom needs to push your buttons regularly to see if she can make you blow up!  Why would someone do that on a regular basis.  Hmmmmm.  Let's see.  Do you think she may be getting something out of it???  Like maybe she likes attention.  Looks like you're going to have to figure out how to stop her or respond to her to ****** it in the bud.  If she wasn't getting a payoff, maybe she'd give it up. 

HUGS!!! 

guinea pig on walk.png

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

Sorry if I am repeating myself, don't know if I posted this before. My daughter suffers from depression that does not respond to meds. She did a treatment called TMS for six weeks daily. This machine stimulates receptors in the brain that are needed to counteract depression. There was a delayed reaction to her improvement. About a month after she was done we saw improvement in her mood. 

Thanks, @panda1234!  How long has her improvement lasted, if you don't mind me asking?  Was TMS covered by her insurance?  I'm glad she found something that works.  I've met a number of people online who can't get anything to work for them.

I feel like I'm doing alright on the medication I'm on now, but there's always the possibility that that could change.  Never know what the future holds.

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune  Milo says that harness is humiliating, and he will have no part of it.  He is king of the pigloo and will accept nothing less than my full respect.  And baby talk.  He likes it when I talk baby talk to him.  Smiley Very Happy

Congratulations on your walk.  I'm glad I could make that happen.  LoL  Kidding, of course.  Sometimes you gotta push yourself and do stuff that isn't fun.  I think walking would be kind of fun if I could turn my head and look at the houses...but I can't, because it makes me dizzy to look from side to side.  If you're like me you have to remind yourself to look straight ahead and not enjoy the scenery that's off to the side.  Smiley Frustrated

Speaking of doing stuff you don't want to...tonight I was driving on the expressway and had a panic attack.  It's been awhile since I've reached that level of panic.  I was going around a turn and started to feel dizzy, and then my anxiety started to go up.  The exit was a little ways ahead and there was no place to pull off.  Anyway, I made it to the exit and I was shaking, but once I got off the expressway I felt much better.  So now I have to make it a point to go on the expressway more, so that I don't become completely phobic about it.  With that in mind, I took the expressway back home even though I was nervous about it.  I know that if I let myself avoid it I will get to a point where I can't drive on the expressway at all anymore.  But in the future I'll try to go during daylight hours and when it's not as busy. 

The sex offender...go to Google and search "[your county] sex offenders" or "[your city] sex offenders" and you should find a website run by the county or city that lists or maps out the locations of sex offenders in your area.  It should also tell you what their offenses were and how serious.  Tier 3 is someone who is predatory, whereas tier 1 is probably somebody who flashed someone or something like that.  I do a search periodically so I know if there's somebody in the neighborhood I should avoid or be wary of.

As far as my mother goes, yes she needs to push my buttons.  It is a control thing.  I figured after my dad died that more of it would be coming my way, and I was right.  I would like to ****** things in the bud by not reacting, but what happens when I do that is she amps up her "attacks."  She will keep pushing as many buttons as she can until she gets the reaction she wants.  Unfortunately, I'm in a situation right now where I sometimes need her help.  If my situation was different, it would be easier to avoid her when I want to.  She makes it impossible whenever she has decided that her concerns are urgent and she will not be ignored.  So I'm just doing the best I can dealing with it.

Let your rats know that if they can get greyhound bus tickets I will put them up.  Smiley Very Happy

Keep up the walking!!  Hugs to you and Jasper!!  Heart

Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel

Her mood has improved after about a month since her treatment ended. It has been good now for about three months. Her doctor said she may have to come back for maintenance in a year or two or not at all. You must be committed to this everyday, off on weekends. The cost is $12,000 I believe he said this is covered by Medicare/Medicaid. Our insurance paid all but $1,700 which we are making payments on. One of the requirements for this treatment is that you have tried three antidepressants and they did not work. Hope this helps. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @panda1234.  I don't know what the future may bring, so I'm glad to know a little more about it.  I've read some peoples' complaints that it didn't work for them, but that was on a depression board.  I'm sure the people who are success stories are less likely to be on a depression board at all, so I wasn't sure about the success rate.

I feel bad for those who can't find relief from any treatment.  There are more people like that than the general public realizes.  But there may always be an advancement on the horizon, so I try to encourage those people to hold on.

Some people find relief from substances that are either illegal or are being targeted to be illegal, but the law can change.

It's a hard situation to be in.  I'm fortunate that Pristiq is helping me, but eventually it will probably stop working, just as the Cymbalta before it did, and the other medications before Cymbalta did.  When I first started thinking that the Cymbalta may not be working so well, I was told there weren't any other options left.  That actually wasn't true (but I believed it was), and the erroneous statement made to me by a psychiatrist only added to the hopeless feelings I was having.

I want very much for people to hold on, exhaust their options and have some hope for the future, but I know it can be difficult or impossible for someone who is very depressed...especially without supportive people around or with medical professionals treating them who are no help at all.

I'm glad your daughter has you for support, and that she has received treatment that works for her.  So many people don't have one or the other of those things, and the consequences can be dire.  It's really important that you have helped her; you may have saved her life. Heart