Esteemed Contributor

LoL!!!Smiley Very Happy 

Thank you, @lolakimono!!

I needed that. Smiley Happy

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel

Better-half found this and I thought it might be something you could use. Woman Wink

Thwwwwaaaaak!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee  LoL!!  I hope that chipmunk still has his teeth!!  

I have 2 squirrel friends who live outside, and they come to my deck to eat.  I wonder if I should put a slinky out.  The pet rock didn't seem to interest them much.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a doctor appointment today with my PCP.  She is referring me to a neurologist.  She checked the "trigger points" associated with pain in fibromyalgia patients, and I did not have pain in those spots.  She was concerned about the fact that the numbness and tingling in my legs goes all the way up to my knees.  I also have some tingling in my hands and face.  And the reason for my balance problems and dizziness has never really been determined.

She asked me a bunch of questions.  We talked about the possibility of MS as a diagnosis, and if the neurologist she is referring me to can't get me in soon, she will order an MRI herself.

I asked her if this could still just be fibromyalgia, and she kind of had this look on her face.  She said it could, but her facial expression did not inspire confidence.

I've been telling myself "you probably have an autoimmune thyroid problem" or "you probably just have a b-vitamin deficiency and a vestibular problem" or "it's probably fibromyalgia."  But as tests are being done and things are being ruled out, I'm finding it harder and harder to tell myself that it's probably something I would rather have than MS.

I was just checking out the National MS Society page, and there are some symptoms on there that I have that I didn't mention to my doctor, because I didn't realize they could have anything to do with MS and I attributed them to other things.  I didn't learn very much about MS before now, because I did not want to freak myself out for no reason, but now that my doctor is concerned, I've started looking at the info.  I don't want to immerse myself in it at this point, but I'd like to know a few things.

I'm still hoping that there is some other explanation, but I'm scared.

@DianeJ2, I miss talking to you.  I hope you're okay.  Heart

Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I had a doctor appointment today with my PCP.  She is referring me to a neurologist.  She checked the "trigger points" associated with pain in fibromyalgia patients, and I did not have pain in those spots.  She was concerned about the fact that the numbness and tingling in my legs goes all the way up to my knees.  I also have some tingling in my hands and face.  And the reason for my balance problems and dizziness has never really been determined.

She asked me a bunch of questions.  We talked about the possibility of MS as a diagnosis, and if the neurologist she is referring me to can't get me in soon, she will order an MRI herself.

I asked her if this could still just be fibromyalgia, and she kind of had this look on her face.  She said it could, but her facial expression did not inspire confidence.

I've been telling myself "you probably have an autoimmune thyroid problem" or "you probably just have a b-vitamin deficiency and a vestibular problem" or "it's probably fibromyalgia."  But as tests are being done and things are being ruled out, I'm finding it harder and harder to tell myself that it's probably something I would rather have than MS.

I was just checking out the National MS Society page, and there are some symptoms on there that I have that I didn't mention to my doctor, because I didn't realize they could have anything to do with MS and I attributed them to other things.  I didn't learn very much about MS before now, because I did not want to freak myself out for no reason, but now that my doctor is concerned, I've started looking at the info.  I don't want to immerse myself in it at this point, but I'd like to know a few things.

@mistriTsquirrel

I'm so sorry you are anxious about MS.  I looked over the symptoms and they are so diverse and widespread that they mimic so many other illnesses.  The main thing you need to do is to see that neurologist ASAP.  You might even want to have your doctor call and ask for an appointment right away.  The sooner you see a neurologist, the better.  I don't think you have MS, but you will worry until you know for sure.

Have you looked up the side effects of your new Rx?  I know you've had vertigo for a while, but are the other symptoms more recent?

Please try to calm yourself down and know that you can handle anything that comes your way.  Look at all the problems you've dealt with over your life so far!  Worry and anxiety cause their own list of symptoms that are long and widespread, too!!!

Also, there is a genetic component to MS.  Does anyone in your family have it?

Please keep us informed and try to do all the things you can to releive stress until you see the neurologist!!  16x16_heart.png

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

I'm so sorry you are anxious about MS.  I looked over the symptoms and they are so diverse and widespread that they mimic so many other illnesses.  The main thing you need to do is to see that neurologist ASAP.  You might even want to have your doctor call and ask for an appointment right away.  The sooner you see a neurologist, the better.  I don't think you have MS, but you will worry until you know for sure.

Have you looked up the side effects of your new Rx?  I know you've had vertigo for a while, but are the other symptoms more recent?

Please try to calm yourself down and know that you can handle anything that comes your way.  Look at all the problems you've dealt with over your life so far!  Worry and anxiety cause their own list of symptoms that are long and widespread, too!!!

Please keep us informed and try to do all the things you can to releive stress until you see the neurologist!!  16x16_heart.png

Thanks, @fortune.  Glad I saw your post; my notifications aren't working for some reason.

Anyway, I was told that the neurologist's office would call me before the week's end to set up an appointment.  You know how it is; they don't make you a priority just because you're worried.

The symptoms pre-date my new med, so I can't attribute them to that. 

Nobody in my family has MS, but nobody in my family has had numbness and tingling like I have either, as far as I know.   

I actually do not have vertigo.  I have dizziness and light-headedness, but not vertigo...though I did have that when I was sick last month.  Dizziness is a general term; it's a sense of being off-balance.  Light-headedness is when you feel like you could pass out.  Vertigo is the feeling of the room spinning around you.  I had no idea what the difference was initially, but--even though it's common to have more than one at a time--they are distinct sensations.  I always have dizziness when I am light-headed, but I am not usually light-headed when I am dizzy.  In other words, I have frequent dizziness, but the feeling of being about to pass out is infrequent.  The vertigo I had occurred when I had a virus that affected my sinuses and inner ears.  Does all of this make sense?  I used to get aggravated when doctors would ask, "are you dizzy or light-headed, or is it vertigo?" and I didn't know what the difference was.  I understand the difference now.

Anyway, I don't know if MS is what's wrong with me, but I think anybody faced with that possibility would be worried.  And I'm tired of trying to figure out what's wrong, and tired of feeling like ******.  I'm sick of this.  

Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

Thanks, @fortune.  Glad I saw your post; my notifications aren't working for some reason.

Anyway, I was told that the neurologist's office would call me before the week's end to set up an appointment.  You know how it is; they don't make you a priority just because you're worried.

The symptoms pre-date my new med, so I can't attribute them to that. 

Nobody in my family has MS, but nobody in my family has had numbness and tingling like I have either, as far as I know.   

I actually do not have vertigo.  I have dizziness and light-headedness, but not vertigo...though I did have that when I was sick last month.  Dizziness is a general term; it's a sense of being off-balance.  Light-headedness is when you feel like you could pass out.  Vertigo is the feeling of the room spinning around you.  I had no idea what the difference was initially, but--even though it's common to have more than one at a time--they are distinct sensations.  I always have dizziness when I am light-headed, but I am not usually light-headed when I am dizzy.  In other words, I have frequent dizziness, but the feeling of being about to pass out is infrequent.  The vertigo I had occurred when I had a virus that affected my sinuses and inner ears.  Does all of this make sense?  I used to get aggravated when doctors would ask, "are you dizzy or light-headed, or is it vertigo?" and I didn't know what the difference was.  I understand the difference now.

Anyway, I don't know if MS is what's wrong with me, but I think anybody faced with that possibility would be worried.  And I'm tired of trying to figure out what's wrong, and tired of feeling like ******.  I'm sick of this.  

@mistriTsquirrel

I was about to go to bed, but thought I'd check in with you first.  Of course you're worried about your symptoms and the possibility they could be the result of MS!  I didn't for a minute mean to downplay your feelings!  I'm glad they are fast-forwarding  your appointment with the neurologist.  Keep on them, though.  Doctors offices can be insensitive to patients' feelings. . .

Do anything you can to treat your anxiety--walk, start a project, contact a friend you haven't talked to for a while, visit the library, order a movie you've wanted to see, etc.  Only you can help your anxiety because only you knows what makes you feel better.

I'm here if you want to talk.  Jasper sends you a whiskery kiss, too!

Dog dinner invitation.png

Here's what Jasper's wearing for Halloween!!

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune  LoL  Jasper looks so dapper.  And look at those broad shoulders!!  Thanks for the smile.  Heart  He's such a handsome boy!!

Honestly I've been so fatigued that it's been hard to do anything.  Some days are better than others.

I have a poor internet connection that is acting up again, so I can't stream anything right now.  (And don't have cable.)  The connection was working okay 2 days ago.  Great timing, AT&T.  Can't afford to do anything about it right now, but I have found that since I started the Pristiq I can at least concentrate for long enough to read a few paragraphs in a book.  I had a much harder time doing that before.  It's still difficult, but not as bad as it was pre-Pristiq.

I can't tell you how tired I am of following up with doctors' offices, hospitals and attempting to contact people at my insurance company.  I spent the last 7+ months trying to clear up a billing problem with a hospital.  My psychiatrist's office is sending me bills that should've been covered.  My cardiologist's office is trying to get a test approved for me, but that's a long story...and still pending.  The routine phone calls and the appointments are bad enough, but when you have a billing problem or need something authorized...I just...some days I just don't have enough energy.  I'm perfectly nice the first 5 or so times I call, but after being lied to and placated for awhile, I start to lose my patience.  I wonder if I should just start off being a b**** and cut to the chase.  Seems like things would get straightened out much quicker if I did.

Some days I feel alright and I am able to get 3 or 4 of those types of calls out of the way.  Oftentimes I don't feel up to it.  And I know if I start to sound like I'm going to cry around any of these people I've already lost the battle.  I learned that the hard way.  Do not cry around doctors, nurses, etc.  They will treat you like a mental patient.  And they seem to believe that mental patients don't get physical illnesses.  So if you cry, you are setting yourself up for an even bigger battle.  You really have to be a warrior around these people, because if you show signs of weakness you won't get the care you need.

Image result for warrior squirrel

I'll have to see what my mom's dog is wearing this year for Halloween.  Each year I get a card with a picture inside of the dog wearing a cute costume and looking reluctantly at the camera.  LoL  I want to take some fall-themed pictures of my guinea pig too.  I have a few little pumpkins and a squash I can use for props.  I just have to figure out a decent backdrop and figure out how I'm going to get him to sit still and not run away.  heh

Thanks for your support, @fortune.  I appreciate it.  Heart  And I always love those Jasper pictures. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@fortune  LoL  Jasper looks so dapper.  And look at those broad shoulders!!  Thanks for the smile.  Heart  He's such a handsome boy!!

Honestly I've been so fatigued that it's been hard to do anything.  Some days are better than others.

I have a poor internet connection that is acting up again, so I can't stream anything right now.  (And don't have cable.)  The connection was working okay 2 days ago.  Great timing, AT&T.  Can't afford to do anything about it right now, but I have found that since I started the Pristiq I can at least concentrate for long enough to read a few paragraphs in a book.  I had a much harder time doing that before.  It's still difficult, but not as bad as it was pre-Pristiq.

I can't tell you how tired I am of following up with doctors' offices, hospitals and attempting to contact people at my insurance company.  I spent the last 7+ months trying to clear up a billing problem with a hospital.  My psychiatrist's office is sending me bills that should've been covered.  My cardiologist's office is trying to get a test approved for me, but that's a long story...and still pending.  The routine phone calls and the appointments are bad enough, but when you have a billing problem or need something authorized...I just...some days I just don't have enough energy.  I'm perfectly nice the first 5 or so times I call, but after being lied to and placated for awhile, I start to lose my patience.  I wonder if I should just start off being a b**** and cut to the chase.  Seems like things would get straightened out much quicker if I did.

Some days I feel alright and I am able to get 3 or 4 of those types of calls out of the way.  Oftentimes I don't feel up to it.  And I know if I start to sound like I'm going to cry around any of these people I've already lost the battle.  I learned that the hard way.  Do not cry around doctors, nurses, etc.  They will treat you like a mental patient.  And they seem to believe that mental patients don't get physical illnesses.  So if you cry, you are setting yourself up for an even bigger battle.  You really have to be a warrior around these people, because if you show signs of weakness you won't get the care you need.

Image result for warrior squirrel

I'll have to see what my mom's dog is wearing this year for Halloween.  Each year I get a card with a picture inside of the dog wearing a cute costume and looking reluctantly at the camera.  LoL  I want to take some fall-themed pictures of my guinea pig too.  I have a few little pumpkins and a squash I can use for props.  I just have to figure out a decent backdrop and figure out how I'm going to get him to sit still and not run away.  heh

Thanks for your support, @fortune.  I appreciate it.  Heart  And I always love those Jasper pictures. Smiley Happy

@mistriTsquirrel

I know what you mean about doctors' visits getting you down!!  I recently had some back problems.  The doctor said to set up an MRI, a complete bone scan, and a CAT scan.  After all these tests, I was supposed to set up a lumbar puncture.  Well, it about killed me!!  After all these tests, which took weeks, my back got better on its own without the lumbar puncture!  I HATE going to the doctors. 

One of the things that helped me with all those tests, though, was that Jasper went with me and my son to every one of them.  We walked into the offices with him and nobody threw him out!  He loved all these visits, and got plenty of feedback from all the patients who just loved him.  I actually think he helped make some of them happier to just pet him!!  Maybe your guinea pig could be a comfort guinea!  It's funny when if you just act like you're supposed to bring your dog, people don't question you!

I think one of the things to do when one is sick is to STAY AWAY FROM DOCTORS!!!

Let me know when you get your neurologist's appointment.

holy-hound-pet-costume.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune  LoL  Dogs wearing costumes.  Heart

I stayed away from doctors for years.  I would love it if I could do that now, but I haven't been able to work.  So I either have to fix what's wrong with me or go on disability, which means I have to get this figured out.

"Lumbar puncture" sounds even worse than "spinal tap."  Ugh.  That's something which may be in my future if the MRI results warrant it.

Don't tell anybody on the boards that you take Jasper to appointments!!  Some of the people here get very upset when pets are allowed in doctors' offices.  I would love to see Jasper at the doctor's office.  I think bringing Milo with me would be too stressful for Milo, and I would be worried about him the whole time.  Maybe if he was a social butterfly like Jasper I would consider it.   

My mother takes me to some of these appointments if I am too dizzy to drive or I've been told to have someone there to drive me home.  She's like the opposite of a therapy dog.  She brings your stress level up several notches, and getting into the exam room and away from her is sometimes a relief.  She's my "discomfort animal."  LoL

::sigh::