Frequent Contributor

Re: Depression thread. Please! The person who posted last night to me

Love, love, love your reply, @butterfly123.  Thank you!  My uncle was a good person- very kind, giving.  But very sensitive also.  I actually went to a psychic (when you're desperate, you'll do anything I think) to make sure he's at peace.  I know that may sound so odd, but when I drive by his house it's so, so painful.  I felt like he was still there, and again I know that may sound just cuckoo.. we're Catholic, so I felt like he'd be the soul too afraid to move on for fear of judgment.  This psychic got EVERYTHING right and I do mean everything.  She even said he was there, just wanting to be not noticed by anyone.  That's how he was in life.  And then she described my older, wonderful, bossy aunt as the person who was there with him, trying to coax him along with her.  My aunt Trady died in 2012, and it helped tremendously to think she didn't forget about him either.  She 'stayed behind' for him, is what I was told.  I have to believe we helped him go.  His house has been bought and sold 7 times since September 2001.  Seven.  And when you look at the sale history, you see that the sellers have been taking a bit of a loss each time.  Something wasn't right and this was hurting my heart so terribly.  I'm a little embarrassed to type that out because I'm sure it makes me sound just nuts.  BUT- I went because this shop was donating 100% of their collections that night to an organization that's working to renovate housing for homeless veterans in our county, so it was worth it regardless, in my mind. 

I sincerely hope I didn't 'hijack' your post, by the way!  Just something about what you wrote was touching.  I cried while reading it on my lunch break during my  work day, so I only got to read part of it and then I had to stop.  I finished reading the minute I got home.  I think it's so much easier to talk to folks who've been there.  It's almost as if you have this in common, this unfortunate 'bond' with each other.  It's not so much for me that I don't talk to anyone else because they won't understand- it's more that I don't want people to look at me differently I guess.  There are so many of us who are capable of doing just about anything because that's just what you do to get by in life. ' We work hard to just be 'normal', even if some days it takes absolutely everything we've got just to get out of bed.  

Anyway, I'm so thankful I found your original post.  I read the boards all the time, and like I said in my first reply, I've never posted here.  I've just always enjoyed the reading.  I tell my husband about the things I read here!  I even told him about newziesuzie's passing a few weeks back.  It made me sad because it was obvious by the folks posting that she meant someting to everyone.  It also makes me sad to read that she had a lot of struggles in her life.  Sometimes (most of the time), we just don't know what it's like for other people and we forget to be kind.  Sometimes just a little kindness can make a world of difference.  

I do hope I hear more from you, Miss Butterfly123.  We all need to look out for each other, even if it's just a quick check in to say hello.  Heart  

Frequent Contributor

If you can tolerate another post, @butterfly123.. I found 'The Starfish Story'.  Beautiful!  Beautiful point the young boy made.  I'll remember that lovely story and I have you to thank for it! 

Miss Butterfly123, I don't know if I said this already, but it's been a pleasure 'chatting' with you.  I re-read your last post and so much of what you wrote resonated with me.  Sometimes people come in to your life and all of a sudden you realize you wish you'd gotten to know them years before.  And now here we are.  Smiley Happy  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Nugbucker

Thank you for posting with me. I will return to post as soon as I am able. My husband is in need of medical attention.

Hugs,

🦋

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I welcome you here, @Nugbucker, with open arms and a (((hug))).   I know far too much about depression, anxiety and suicide, having lost dear, dear friends and also being a survivor of attempts, myself.   I know how it feels, for me, from deep inside.   I've benefited from several inpatient hospital stays and I'm a grateful and active participant in years of therapy, too.   

I wrote at length about this on several of the threads when Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain passed away, and I'm not sure I can say more for now.    It goes beyond being hard to discuss, or maybe I'm just hurting too much right now and too sensitive, so I can't really go into much more detail at the moment.

But still I wanted to add my voice of compassion and love for you, for all who understand, and for dear (((@butterfly123))) who has a heart as big as the sky.   I'll add one link to one thread because I want, at the least, to provide resources.   

Perhaps some of the other threads might be useful to read (just use the search bar in the community).   Also, another compassionate and understanding poster -- @mistriTsquirrel -- has an established thread here in Wellness titled "Depression" and that might be something you'd like to join or read.

"National suicide hotline" thread:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/National-suicide-hotline/m-p/4701379/highlight/true#M126...

"Depression" thread:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Depression/m-p/324341/highlight/true#M8460

~~~~~~~~~~~~

My heart goes out to all.   You are not alone.  Remember that.  You are not alone.  Continuing to reach out to others is a wonderful and hopeful sign, and please know that for every person who writes or talks with you there are countless others who quietly are sending their prayers, positive energy, and supportive light and love.   Close your eyes and hear our gentle voices.

@butterfly123, another thank you to you for your bright and lovely presence on the forums, and I'm praying for your dear husband and his medical team.

~❤️~

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

I’m always so touched by the tender hearts who share a piece of their lives— all over these forums. What it takes to be that open and vulnerable about such a sensitive topic. What special souls you are.  ♥️

Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

I’m always so touched by the tender hearts who share a piece of their lives— all over these forums. What it takes to be that open and vulnerable about such a sensitive topic. What special souls you are.  ♥️

Such a sweet post, @Teddie, and so characteristic of you.   You are a special soul, you know.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo  How sweet of you to say that...

You are just so easy to love. Take care.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

To all of you who posted on this Thread, everyone of you touched my heart.   The true feelings that were written here, the most heartfelt, caring, tender, loving words that came from all of you has touched me beyond words.  May each and everyone be blessed for who you are.  I am finding it difficult to express what I am truly feeling.  I haven't seen The Starfish Story and I would like to but don't know where to find it.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, @Lindsays Grandma.   (((hugs)))    You're a gem.❤️   The original starfish story was titled "The Star Thrower" as a part of an essay by the author Loren Eiseley.

It was adapted over the years, so there are lots of versions and usually they don't credit the actual originator.    This one on "Goodreads" isn't identical to Eiseley's original but is attributed to him:

“Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing.

He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer.

He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all.

The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out.

If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile?

You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean.

As it met the water, he said, 
"It made a difference for that one."   ― Loren Eiseley"

Honored Contributor

@Nugbucker

Hello friend, 

My husband and his coworkers have foodbourne illness/food poisoning. Husband was released from hospital. 

Just a quick note to you. 

I read your post and you are very kind. 

I have an open mind with intuitive gifting. I have read several papers written about gifted people who are healers, physics, intuitive, and energy healers. I find this to be extremely interesting. 

Have you watched the television series named “The Healer”?  Charlie Goldsmith is a healer who tries to relieve others physical pain. Quite interesting. He was studied by a   well known medical facility in the U.S. 

My mind is not focused currently due to my husband’s illness. Sorry 😐 

I will try to post more tomorrow. I apologize, just haven’t slept much.