Honored Contributor

Re: Depression and talkin to your spouse/ Important questions to ask yourself

@GCR18 wrote:

Great idea to have him come to a Dr appt and hear the Drs words.  Some can't comprehend something that you can't see or touch.  You can't see depression like you can see a broken leg or touch a cast.  

You most definitely can see depression. I lived with a mother who was chronically clinically depressed her whole life. She did not sleep unless she was on meds.so she had deep dark circles under her eyes. She didn't bathe or brush her beautiful teeth and they rotted out of her head. She neglected her children, we were always on our own. I believe she was institutionalized 3 times before I was 11 years old and had shock treatments that did no good.I can tell you I was happy to be married at

23 and leaving that situation. I think my mother knew how hard her mental illness was on us, but she didn't have it in her to climb out of it, no matter how much help she got. I think your husband is terrified that you may not be able to climb out of the depression and anxiety. My father was not sensitive to my mother's condition after awhile, I guess we all just got tired of dealing with a family member who was sick all the time. Get well for yourself because you are worth it, you only get one life to live.