Honored Contributor

Depression and The Pill

[ Edited ]

I saw this article in The Guardian (UK) ... about a study done in Denmark confirming a link between depression and contraceptives.   Since I've occasionally seen postings about depression here, I thought some of you might be interested ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/03/pill-linked-depression-doctors-hormonal-contra...

Esteemed Contributor

I would have been more depressed if I would have had a kid. I took birth control pills for about 18 years and then had my tubes tied. Never was depressed. Like I said. I would have been more depressed if I had gotten pregnant. 

Respected Contributor

When I was on the pill I was depressed and had to find a pill that worked for me.  I don't think this is anything new.  In the 80's the concern was mood swings and acne.  I would think mood swings would be considered a form of depression.  The pill affects your hormones. 

Honored Contributor

When I was 19 and first went on BCPs my doctor sat me down and carefully explained to me the vital importance of taking one every day and never missing.He explained the risk of pregnancy and that missing pills would result in sometimes severe depression.I put the pills next to my toothbrush and every AM when I brushed my teeth I took that pill. No accidental pregnancy or depression.

Honored Contributor

Re: Depression and The Pill

[ Edited ]

The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)  published a study entitled:  "Association of Hormonal Contraception with Depression."   It's dated September 28, 2016.   You can find it if you Google the title.  

You might want to be aware that your daughters or granddaughters may be at risk.  There has been quite a bit of reporting about the increase in suicide of teenage girls.  

It concludes:

Conclusions and Relevance  Use of hormonal contraception, especially among adolescents, was associated with subsequent use of antidepressants and a first diagnosis of depression, suggesting depression as a potential adverse effect of hormonal contraceptive use.

Trusted Contributor
Thank you O/P. Very relevant information. People need to be aware of the risks as well as benefits of any medication so that they can make informed decisions and seek alternatives if necessary.
Do the math.