Contributor

I just had my Implanon implant removed yesterday and started the Depo 104 injection. I'm an older user, 47. I have to use a progesterone birth control. Any experiences anyone would be willing to share with me?

Super Contributor

Re: Depo 104 shot experiences?

Some people experience weight gain.

Contributor

That was the same with the Implanon implant. But I am very active so did well. But I can't lose weight to save my life. Seems they both slow you metabolism.

Honored Contributor

I know someone who was on the Depo shot for about 5 years, and wound up with osteoporosis issues in her mid 20's. She kept asking her provider about Depo affecting her bones, and the provider kept assuring her she didn't need to worry; she was young and healthy, and there was no reason to be concerned. Once she got good insurance and changed medical providers, she had the discussion with her GYN, who decided to do a bone density scan, based on the fact she'd been on the shot for 5 years. At the age of 24 years old, this girl found out she had the bones of an 80 year old woman, thanks to the effects of the Depo. She was taken off the Depo injection, and took prescription medication for a year and a half to address her bone issues. Thankfully she was able to turn her situation around before severe damage was done.

Super Contributor

Oh, YES! I forgot to mention the side effect of bone density issue! It can be remedied by taking calcium supplement; doctor would recommend the dose to take.

Contributor

I had read that as well. So far all is good. They told me if I tolerated the Implanon then I should do well with the reduced hormone Depo.

Super Contributor

Oh gosh. With my first injection, I began trembling and then fainted. Luckily I was still in the office. My gyno said it was the rush of hormones to my system. She joked and said that is what it will feel like during menopause. I stayed on depo for 5 years. I eventually became more used to the injections but always had a weird feeling after the injection and my doc made me sit in the office for 15 minutes or so. I loved, and I mean LOVED, not having a period, but my doc recommended stopping due to calcium leaching. I think 5 years is the maximum time recommend for this method (unless that has changed).

Contributor

Oh wow Smurfette...I had the Implanon and did well. It did give me menopause symptoms for the first few months...hot flashes mainly. So I was not in a rush to sign up for that again.

Super Contributor

On 6/26/2014 Smurfette said:

Oh gosh. With my first injection, I began trembling and then fainted. Luckily I was still in the office. My gyno said it was the rush of hormones to my system. She joked and said that is what it will feel like during menopause. I stayed on depo for 5 years. I eventually became more used to the injections but always had a weird feeling after the injection and my doc made me sit in the office for 15 minutes or so. I loved, and I mean LOVED, not having a period, but my doc recommended stopping due to calcium leaching. I think 5 years is the maximum time recommend for this method (unless that has changed).

They should have told you to STAY in the office for at least 30 minutes after the injection for that very reason.