Trusted Contributor

Re: Deodorant and underarm rash

@151949 wrote:

I have NOT switched deodorant but have developed a terrible itchy underarm rash. So bad I went to a 24 hr med - care place. The doctor said that perhaps the maker of my deodorant had changed the formula and advised to not use any deodorant for a few days until it clears up. She gave me something to wash the area with and a can of spray with medicine in it to keep on the area. It seems to be slowly clearing up. I have never gone for 3 days without deodorant before and it seems odd to go out without it, but I have no choice. My DH promised that if I developed any unpleasant odor he would let me know immediately. Once it clears up I think I will change to a non allergic brand deodorant - the doctor said they have those. 

Honestly, if it's not one thing it's another.

My normal deodorant is Secret in the stick form. 

Hi @151949,

I'm so very sorry to hear this.

I ended up developing clogged pores in my under arms from using a product to shave with, and then using a roll-on deodorant afterwards.

I happened to be at a doctor's appointment anyway when this was starting to clear up, so I had asked him if he could check it for me. 

He told me to switch to a spray deodorant from a roll-on, and I have been using a spray deodorant ever since then.

Secret and Suave make spray deodorants in a can. 

You might be able to see if there is a special deodorant that your pharmacy can order for you, if you can't find anything over-the-counter that you're looking for that suits your needs. Smiley Happy

I was able to do this with a special unscented talc. that I use when I get heat rash.

I hope that you feel better very soon. 

I know what it's like to have itchy skin. I deal with eczema and other skin issues all of the time. 

You have my sympathy. Heart

Honored Contributor

@151949, Just happened to think.  My dermatologist told me once that you're more likely to become allergic to something you've used a long time than something you've used a short time.

Trusted Contributor

I developed a nasty rash from the crystal deodorant.  Until it cleared, I used white distilled vinegar under my arms.

It worked great.  And, the odor dissipates quickly.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I use Donna Karan Cashmere Mist deoderant and it is quite gentle. I've never had a rash and it's such a lovely scent.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

Everyone is different, but Iwhen the same thing happened to me, I learned it was the aluminum compound that's the active ingredient in every anti-perspirant. I developed a sensitivity to the aluminum that caused a rash after years of having no problem. That's actually how chemical sensitivities work--one day your system has just had too much. It happened 20 years ago and I still can't tolerate even one applicaion of those products--doesn't matter what brand.

When you can't use an anti-perspirant, you can still use a deodorant, however. I had to experiment with several kinds of natural deodorants before I found one that kept me odor-free. Currently for me that's Aubrey Organics E Plus High C.  I may sweat but I don't smell bad. Stores like Whole Foods and Sprouts have a wide selection of deodorants without aluminum to try--creams, solids, liquids, sprays...you may need to try a few before you find the right one.

Honored Contributor

I too use Secret. I'll keep a check -- what scent, type of, they have a few to choose from, brought this on? Some say aluminum on them.

Valued Contributor

When my boys were in school and health class taught personal hygiene samples of Old Spice deodorant was given to them. Both my boys developed painful red burn like symptoms under their arms. When my third son was in that grade I warned him in advance not to use the sample. I only wish that day was known in advance for my other two. It was a painful rash. All my boys have allergies and parents should have been advised in advance. One of my boys also developed a rash from the men's Dove line.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@151949, Just happened to think.  My dermatologist told me once that you're more likely to become allergic to something you've used a long time than something you've used a short time.

I have a severe latex allergy and the allergist said it was from the repeated use of latex gloves at work then having 4 surgeries on my kidney within a few weeks, with the surgeons wearing latex gloves ands the use of latex in equipment - over loads the immune system. The final surgery they left in the spinal anesthesia catheter for pain control and it was taped to my back in a bandage about 6 " long - lo & behold when they took that bandage off there were blood blisters under there from the latex in the tape. - had to stay in the hospital for weeks while they tried to heal that up. They skin tested me for a latex allergy and that was the culprit.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wear regular deodorant sometimes but I start to itch after a while so I fill in with a Crsytal Stick, a natural chemical free deodorant in between.  What I don't like about it is you're more likely to show under arm sweat.  Odor free, though.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's helpful to keep hydrocortisone cream (maximum strength) and 100% aloe vera gel (Fruit of the Earth's is excellent) around for itchiness and healing anywhere.

Both are soothing, and the aloe is also cooling.

So is talc-free cornstarch powder that contain aloe.

Just some tips for the future...

As a former health worker, you probably already know that you can develop an allergy to anything, even the filler/non-actvive ingredients.

Maybe that's what happened.