Honored Contributor

Deodorant and underarm rash

[ Edited ]

I have NOT switched deodorant but have developed a terrible itchy underarm rash. So bad I went to a 24 hr med - care place. The doctor said that perhaps the maker of my deodorant had changed the formula and advised to not use any deodorant for a few days until it clears up. She gave me something to wash the area with and a can of spray with medicine in it to keep on the area. It seems to be slowly clearing up. I have never gone for 3 days without deodorant before and it seems odd to go out without it, but I have no choice. My DH promised that if I developed any unpleasant odor he would let me know immediately. Once it clears up I think I will change to a non allergic brand deodorant - the doctor said they have those. 

Honestly, if it's not one thing it's another.

My normal deodorant is Secret in the stick form. 

Contributor

Re: Deodorant and underarm rash

Had the same thing happen to me and used Secret for years '' My Dr told me to go with out for a week and it cleared up ! Switched to DOVE and love it have used the beauty bar for yrs '' My Mother used the beauty bar also and her skin was flawless in her 70's Hope you have some luck with finding a deordarant !

Honored Contributor

If I get a rash........I know my razor is dull

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

Have had it, and Dove is now my choice, too.

My dad could only use old-fashioned Mum.  I think it was the first deodorant.  

Did you check the ingredients for that methy-long-name chemical that there was a thread about a while ago?  Evidently it's newish, and lots of people are allergic to it.

Honored Contributor

I have always heard that after you shave your under arms you should let them "calm down".

I'm a shower at night person, and use deoderant in the am.

If you shower in the am, I would suggest shaving just the under arm at bed time and remove the soap with a wash cloth.  (Actually, I'd use a cleaning fluid like Cetalphil.  Walmart makes an inexpensive copy.).

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have very sensitive skin and developed a rash from Mitchum.

For quite a few years now I've been using Secret Clinical Strength 

Invisible Solid deodorant in Unscented.  No problems, especially after shaving and for me works the best against sweat and odor 

protection.  Don't know if you'll give "Secret" another chance, but

I've found this deodorant gentle and does what it claims.

Honored Contributor

@punky brewster wrote:

Had the same thing happen to me and used Secret for years ''

Me too!  I ended up switching to Kiehl's.  It's more of a lotion and the two big pluses for me are that the hair grows in softer and no deodorant stains on my clothing.

It's expensive, but worth every penny.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@athenian wrote:

Did you check the ingredients for that methy-long-name chemical that there was a thread about a while ago?  Evidently it's newish, and lots of people are allergic to it.

I also wash with Dove soap so I'll give that a try. It is terrible to have such a bad itch there!

I shave with an electric razor and it does not irritate at all, so that isn't it.

Respected Contributor

@athenian wrote:

I remember Mum!  My godmother used the little jar and applied it with new fingers.  Mum is now Ban roll on.  Do they still sell Ban?  When I have a rash I use Mennans baby powder.

Trusted Contributor

My father had the same issue, and his dermatologist told him to switch to Almay. The problem cleared up and never came back.