Honored Contributor

Re: Dentist visit

[ Edited ]

When my DH retired we lost our dental insurance. We took a private plan with Met Life, we have been very pleased with it. In the long run it pays for us for the 4 cleanings a year and quite a bit for all other prodecures. We found it to be a very good investment. 

Honored Contributor

$115 sounds reasonable to me.  My dentist offers a 15% "senior' discount and I paid $135 for just a cleaning, no x-rays.  I pay by credit card.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

In my area there are community dental clinics which offer full dental services and their prices are based on a sliding scale depending on your income. There is also a dental institute here where they do more extensive services for instance surgery. I usually get a basic cleaning for about $75 using either one of those places. They are excellent options for people who don't have insurance like myself.

Similar here, we have the Univ of MD Dental School downtown here, and if you go there all services are greatly reduced, students work on you while a teaching dentist oversees the work. 

Trusted Contributor

That's a very good price for a cleaning!  I have dental insurance ( a certain $ amount per year) but if I exceed it and I pay the bill in full they give me a 10% discount. 

Respected Contributor
You know,I used to have the best bennies ever.then got divorced,and everything went down the tubes.
Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam  Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are bennies?

Super Contributor

Probably means benefits.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dentist visit

[ Edited ]

$95 for my cleaning and check-up.  I was scolded by my dental technician because I had plaque.  I felt like saying: you clean it off-that's what I am paying $95 for.  All out-of-pocket. 

Respected Contributor

no question is dumb kkj.bennies is benefits

Valued Contributor

I don't have Dental Insurance and my Dentist is very understanding about that,besides I pay him cash. In the last year I have had very extensive work done .I've had 4 extractions, 3 implants and 2 root canals and he gave me a break on all these procedures.All this work was done during this Pandemic.I had to have these things taken care of and he made me feel safe the whole time. Many times he would open his office just for me when I had some problems.I am so lucky to have found him.When I say I love my Dentist and I don't mind going to see him I mean it. He is so understanding when I have the least bit of anxiety. Many people fear going to the Dentist,if they had a dentist like mine,they would never mind goin.