Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I would be careful to check with your md.  My dentist prescribed a penicillin for me even though it was noted on my chart that I am allergic.  Ever since then, I question every prescription coming from my dentist.  I know she was unfamiliar with antibiotics as she checked with an md as to the best one to use.  I know this because my neighbor was the md she checked with.  Yikes.  So, I am careful.  You are your own best advocate if you are able. LM

Honored Contributor

I just had a back tooth extracted and the oral surgeon ordered PenVK 500 mg 4 times a day for 7 days and suggested I start it 2 days before the procedure. I have heart problems and had to notify my cardiologist before hand and she whole heartedly approved. I also had antibiotics after root canal and that was before my heart trouble. My husband had both hips replaced and he takes antibiotics before any invasive dental procedure with his orthopedtic surgeons blessing.

Esteemed Contributor

Mine prescribed them for me. DH just had a tooth extracted and they put him on them also.