Valued Contributor

Someone had a topic on dentists, but didn't want to hi-jack the thread.  Still though on the topic of dentists...........

After years of being "good",I neglected to go for my every 6 months cleaning for a couple of years now, and finally was forced to go due to pain!Woman Sad Turns out I have a couple of cavities and need a deep cleaning. However, I am lucky because, except for the work mentioned that needs to be done, my teeth and gums are in pretty good shape for age 65. That reminds me that I need to stay on top of things better to keep my teeth  lol!  Anyway, I have to get this work done and the dentist noticed that I had broken arm surgery last year and had a pin inserted.  He said because of that, I should go on antibiotics each time anything was done because of the danger of bacteria adhering to that pin area. I had never heard that before, but then I never had a pin in my body either.  Have you heard of that? I think it is a very good idea. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have adverse reactions to antibiotics.  So I know it would not work or me.  I would ask your general doctor on this one to be sure they are on the same page.  

Valued Contributor

They must be on the same page due to the fact the dr. ordered a script for me.

Honored Contributor

my mom takes antibiotics before any dental procedure, even cleanings. she is 75 and has been doing this for around ten years now. she does not have any "pins" but has had some health problems in the past due to a bad car accident.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I know several people who have to take antibiotics prior to any dental work for various reasons.  It's standard procedure.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

I have a heart murmer and a left hip replacement. I have been instructed by my doctors to always take 4 500mg capsules of Amoxicillin before every dental appointment.

Valued Contributor

My hip replacement ortho requires that all his replacement patients take antibiotics before dental work for a lifetime.  I have heard that doctors' opinions and requirements vary GREATLY on this subject---from never, to a couple years, to, like mind, FOREVER!

KK

Honored Contributor

I have heard some docs recommending anitbiotics even for a dental cleaning.

Honored Contributor

I am  an advocate against excessive antibiotic use...

BUT........ last week when I had a crowed molar start to die on me and my face swelled up, lymph glands huge from the infection..... and pain out of this world... antibiotics  saved me from a horrible situation....

now just days since a root canal and flooded with antibiotics ( a series of them daily for one week PLUS 4 each prior to two different appointments to get the root canal done)  I feel so great and can eat again!   I had no adverse effects  after having tons of anibiotics over the past week and a half.  I am now just taking a high high dose probiotic every day to replenish my good bacteria.

It depends on the situation...  what is going on. With infection  antibiotics can be a life saver.

Honored Contributor

My ortho surgeon and medical doctor advise me to take antibiotics before every dental procedure, with invasive dermatology procedures, and even with colonoscopies.   I think it is a good idea, and firmly believe I am doing the right thing for me.  

I have a tendency to develop infections easily, particularly in my mouth.  The last tooth I had pulled prior to my knee replacement, had infection at the root, so the dentist gave me antibiotics.   Within 24 hrs after the extraction, I was running a fever of 103, and went to my doctor, not my dentist.   I was treated aggressively for a massive infection in my gum that was rapidly getting out of hand on the 250mg tablets of Amoxicillan from the dentist.