Trusted Contributor

Re: Dental work post joint replacement

I had THR February 2017 and had my first dental cleaning 3 months later.  At that time and every visit since (I'm on a 3 months schedule) I take 2,000 mg of Amoxicillin which my dentist gives me. Both my ortho surgeon and dentist advised me to take the antibiotic one hour prior to a dental appointment for life as a precautionary measure. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the responses, I had my left knee replaced in 2015 and was never told I needed antibiotics prior to any dental work or any other procedure, same doctor and I have had cleanings done so it's a blessing that I have not had any problems. I guess there must be an increase in post op infections from implants so providers are using preventive measures which I think is a good thing ! 

Esteemed Contributor

There has been many changes and updates regarding prohylaxis antibiotics post surgery .Many of the doctors now will only require it for the first 6 months but many dentists insist on it anyway due to the fact that they may be responsible if their patient experiences bacterial endocarditis (infection of the heart).    Which of course is extremely serious. You can't blame them for being overly cautious.  I was a certified dental assistant for 30 years and our office always followed these procedures.

Honored Contributor

Those of you taking antibiotics before dental procedures may want to do some research on the subject.  Several years ago, some dental aurhority, can't remember who, came out with a recommendation that it wasn't necessary.   That was 5 or 6 years ago at least.

At the time, I discussed it with my dentist who was very aware of the issue.  He said he was going to make it optional,  so I opted not to take them.  I don't want to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

In Nov. of 2017, I had a total shoulder replacement.  Both my ortho and dentist said I should take an antibiotic 1 hour before ANY dental work, including cleaning.

Both agreed on taking them for a year which I did.  Once the year was up, I was told I don't need to take then anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624,

My ortho surgeon, my dentist, and my medical provider all firmly agree with their TKR patients taking an antibiotic prior to dental cleanings, etc.   Regardless of how much this has been debated in the medical circle, my providers are sticking to antibiotic prophylaxis.  

If I go to my dental appt and say I “forgot” to take the antibiotic, my dental hygienist will tell me I have to reschedule my appt, because my dentist won’t see me that day.   

Honored Contributor

I was told no dental work , even cleanings 3 months prior to my TKR and no dental work, even cleanings for 6 months after.  Yes, after that I would need prophalactic antibiotics prior to any dental work.  It's not for the dental work, it's to protect the knee implant from an infection. My surgeon did say it's very rare for that to happen but better safe than sorry.     

Valued Contributor

My ortho doctor and my dentist require I take an antibiotic before dental work.  My dentist even tells me to remember to take it when she calls to remind me of the appointment and then when I get into the chair she asks me if I took it and when.  I am old enough to remember and it makes me feel like a child.  I understand she cares but I can remember.  At times I may be busy before leaving so I put a note on my mirror and what time I have to take it. 

Honored Contributor

My husband who has had Bi lat THR said he was just reading an article in the local news by an ortho surgeron who said that that little bit of antibiotic you take before a procedure is not going to prevent an infection in the joint. I guess there is still different schools of thought on this subject. My husband's PCP agrees with the new school of thought, but my husbands dentist will not do any work unless he takes the antibiotics, she writes the RX.

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  Thank you for starting this thread.  I had my TKR 4 weeks ago

and just today I called my dentist about a wisdom tooth that has come in and I

need to have it looked at and probably removed. Forgot that the office closed at

noon on Friday, so I wasn't able to talk to anyone.  I never would had given it a

thought to call my ortho first, so I'm very glad to read everyone's comments.

Thanks everyone.