Respected Contributor

Dental work post joint replacement

Almost 4 months post Total right knee, scheduled my dental checkup and cleaning. Ortho said no dental work for 6 months post surgery and I will need to be on a antibiotic from now on anytime there is dental work, colonoscopy etc. I scheduled my dental appt, and called the Ortho for a script and told no dental work including just a cleaning for 6 months so I have to reschedule the dental check up for sometime in June.  I thought dental work such as root canals, extractions would be an example of why a antibiotic would be needed but not the case. Anyone else given these post surgery guidelines ?  MD office told me they had a post knee patient develop a severe knee infection from having dental work less than 6 months post sx.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dental work post joint replacement

[ Edited ]

I have not had a knee replacement but my boss did a couple years ago and he told me that he has to take an antibiotic before any dental work including cleanings. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes anything invasive, including a cleaning does require an antibiotic post TKR.  During a cleaning your gums could bleed and you don't want to risk any infection.  I was told a 6 month minimum waiting period for dental work, including a routine cleaning.

Wishing you well with your new knee.

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  I had my right knee replaced on October 9th, 2019 and have a dental appointment next Wed for my quarterly cleaning and exam.  I called my surgeon's office to verify that this timing was OK and they said 4 months post-surgery was sufficient to wait; however, of course, I have to pre-treat with anti-biotic.
I had both my hips replaced:  1 in 2008 and the other 2017.  I can't recall how long I waited for follow-up dental care but don't believe it was 6 months.
After reading your post I think I'll call the surgeon's office again tomorrow to confirm that my Wed appt is OK because I realize it's not quite 4 months and I'd rather be "safe than sorry."
Trusted Contributor

Had teeth cleaning about 4 months post TKR and had to take antibiotics.  Ortho said I would have to take them for dental work for the next 2 years but dentist may require longer.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

when your teeth are cleaned and descaled the gum can be scraped and can allow bacteria from your mouth to enter the bloodstream.  Any implant (like a knee) is a site for infection to start from the bacteria that entered your bloodstream from your mouth. Antibiotic prophylaxis should be prescribed no matter what body part was replaced by an implant.

Respected Contributor

I had two TKR one in 2011 and the other in 2012.   I was told I must take an antibiotic one hour before any dental cleanings or dental work that would have any type of blood.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I had TKR’s in 2012 and 2017, and still take 2000 mg of Amoxicillan before my dental cleaning checkups.  

I was also given an IV antibiotic in 2014 during a colonoscopy because it is an invasive procedure.   

The rules have changed since 2014, so no antibiotic was given during the colonoscopy I had last month, but the antibiotics for dental will continue for a lifetime.   My medical provider does the prescribing for me.   

Valued Contributor

My mother has to let her doctor know when she is going in for a cleaning or a procedure. When it was stated that an infection can follow when a knee replacement has been done or actually when there is any "false or fake" part in the body. My mother has had both knees replaced and she wears a pacemaker and she also has had two aortic disections. The gums can carry bacteria and just scraping the teeth from a cleaning can cause stuff to happen. You can be pre-emptive and take an antibiotic --which is what my mother does. 

Anyone also who has been on blood thinners or is currently on certain blood thinners that too can cause issues with dental work (I know this first hand).

Regular Contributor

I had a total hip replacement in 2014.  I take 2000 mg ammoxicilin one hour prior to any dental visit, even cleanings.

My ortho told me during my last check up that this was no longer necessary but my dentist insists that I continue to take the antibiotic.....so I do.   Better safe than sorry.