Trusted Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Hooty  Now THAT would tick me off.  Now you have the extra time and expense of getting the RC and crown.

I love my dentist......he really know his stuff, but for a couple years when he wasn't on my dental plan, I tried a couple other dentists.  OMG...... I had no idea how incapable some dentists are.  When he got on my plan, I was so happy to go back to him.

Finding a good dentist is very hard.  

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla  I don't know what to tell you about the root canal.  But this must be so frustrating for you.  This should not happen when you are getting regular checkups and the recommended xrays!  I'm not big on dental xrays.  My dentist's office recommends once a year.  But it seems any problem I have with my teeth, I discovered it.  Not the xrays!  

Respected Contributor

I am guessing you need a root canal. Better sooner than later. That pain will keep you up at night if the tooth is not taken care of. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@drizzellla   Is your dental practice possibly owned by a corporation?  I've recently had experience with that situation after my long-time dentist retired and sold out.  The new group is on their 3rd dentist in 2 years, they sneak in treatments that I don't want, twice after I paid the bill in total, they "remembered" other charges.  I've fired them and am looking for a new dentist.  My first question is, "who owns this practice?"

No - he is the sole owner. But he  has close ties to a Periodontist. The Periodontist outgrew his office, so my Dentist moved in. And the Periodontist built a huge building for his practice. 

They have not sneaked in extra charges - yet. But since I pay cash for everything they are really making out. The Dentist doesn't write off a penny because of insurance usual and customary fees.

""
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@drizzellla

I had to have a crown on a tooth damaged playing basketball.  At first it hurt & my dentist said it was right on the root, but suggested I wait 6 months to see if the nerve calmed down.  I did wait and it stopped hurting.  Glad I did, as I want no more dental work than absolutely necessary.

I certainly do wonder hoe a “large” cavity could be missed upon exam ~ exray or not!  Don’t care for the sound of that.

Best wishes!

Drythe

I just ate my dinner. Was not sure how the tooth would feel. And there was no discomfort at all. Now I tried to eat on the other side but I was quite surprised that the nerve has seemed to settle down. Even when I stick my tongue on the tooth, there is no discomfort.
So we shall see. I am in no hurry to start a root canal. I like the wait and see approach. Glad that it worked for you.

Honored Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

@drizzellla  I don't know what to tell you about the root canal.  But this must be so frustrating for you.  This should not happen when you are getting regular checkups and the recommended xrays!  I'm not big on dental xrays.  My dentist's office recommends once a year.  But it seems any problem I have with my teeth, I discovered it.  Not the xrays!  

I don't understand either. This tooth had no previous fillings. So it wasn't like the filling could have covered the cavity is some way. That is another thing - he is so big on xrays. He takes all kinds of xrays and then when I get the root canal, I have to get the same xrays taken all over again. And then when I go to the periodontist he takes xrays all over again. I swear I should glow in the dark.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  I had to have two root canals extracted (oral surgeon under anesthesia).  Root canals are not a permanent solution.  I may have opted for implants instead of the root canals as they were not inexpensive either and just bought me time until implants/dentures were an inevitable choice.  Insurance needs to catch up with the fact that implants are the preferred choice when faced with these issues. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Dental question

[ Edited ]

Phoenixbrd
I agree completely. I was shocked that root canals last about 10 - 15 years. And then you need implants. My two implants were formerly root canal teeth.

And you know - I bet between the oral surgeon doing the root canal and the crown, the cost of the implant is probably about the same.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@drizzellla  My dentist does all those things right there in his own office.  Too bad you don't live in NE Ohio.......I'd hook you up!

You know I am tempted to drive to Ohio. I was born in the SW part and still have lots of relatives in the area. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I have a cavity under my crown.  I guess I will be getting a new crown.  Not happy since I take care of my teeth and  expected the crown to last. I hope my insurance helps me out... otherwise a really big bill.  

I had the same thing. And yes I needed to get a new crown.