Regular Contributor

Re: Dental question: What about those old silver fillings?

[ Edited ]

One dentist told me I had 5 cavities and would fill them for $2100. I went back to my regular dentist and he said I had none. I mentioned this to my sons dentist and she said 5 dentists will give you 5 diffeent answers.

Cracks are fairly normal/common. Take a small flashlight with the lights turned out in the bathroom mirror and put it between your teeth, top and bottom. You will be amazed at the lines that can be seen.

Amalgam fillings last longer than composite (white). When redoing a filling amalgam/silver can be added too an exisiting filling. Composite cannot. The entire material has to be removed. 

As someone posted everytime a filling is redone, you lose more tooth material. 

Some people consider it more visually appealing to have the composite. A personal decison.

To the original poster, if your daughter is uncertain she get a 2nd opinion. Also do a Google research online on the dentist(s). There are so many sites that have ratings and reviews as well as if there any sanctions against the dentist...

Honored Contributor

I had all of mine replaced over 20 years ago.  Some of the fillings were cracking and wearing out.  I was told this could cause damage to the teeth if left alone.  Mine were replaced with tooth colored amalgams.  My mouth looks much better when I talk and sing without all that silver in my mouth showing.  I am glad I had mine replaced.  I haven't had any trouble with them since.

Respected Contributor

For the same argument about teeth fracture I can assure you that white fillings shrink with time and cause root canals, also it is difficult to shape them and it causes food impact ion and therefore the gum desease.
Unless your silver fillings are broken do not fix anything.
And mercury content in your blood can be detected by the blood work.
Honored Contributor

I've been told that the average silver filling will only last about 15 years.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

Lifespan of a composite restoration is 5 years. Like was mentioned each time you replace a restoration,virgin tooth structure is removed. Love reading these dental threads..very amusing. So many dental "experts"!

Honored Contributor

I have a silver amalgam filled tooth, affectionately called Frankentooth.  I will be crowned before year's end because I am finally developing a little decay.  This filling represents at least 75% of the molar it's part of and has got to be over 25 years old.  It's the only amalgam filling left and I'm going to miss it (lol).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I am a child of the 60s, so my original childhood fillings are all silver.  I had 3 done on top of my back teeth.  Over the years, due to stress of chewing on those back teeth, the silver fillings caused minor cracks that required crowns (no root canal, just a crown to prevent the original tooth from cracking even further.

My dentist at that time said that the silver fillings were put in the wrong direction (either the dentist did it wrong or that was the way they did it in the day).

So I would submit to you that it will be cheaper to replace the fillings now vs having to have all of those teeth crowned later.  

I am told crowns last 25 years, so I am probably going to need all 3 of these crowns re-done soon, which means I have had to pay for those original silver fillings with crowns twice in my life.

I vote replacing the fillings now.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I was just at the dentist last week for a regular cleaning.  I have one silver filling left, it is on the front of one of my back teeth (not on top).  It has finally started to decay and it was suggested to me to have it replaced soon.

I am going in August to have it replaced.

It's the last of my vintage childhood fillings and I will miss it (but it will look nicer in the end).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I have had a tooth crack because of one but not sure if it was because of the silver filing or just where the filling was on the tooth. But one in all these years I wouldn't say is a problem with silver fillings. I would love to get mine all replaced, however, I only get them replaced as the need comes up, which isn't often.
Respected Contributor

I have silver fillings that are at least 40 years old.  No one has ever suggested they be replaced.  None of my teeth have cracked from them.  I would need a really good reason to have them replaced.