Honored Contributor

@LilacTreeI would have the work completed, you could live for years and no doubt will with better dental health. Although I am almost 20 years younger than you are, I kind of am in the same boat as you are dental wise. Dental care when I was growing up was out of the question so I never had any unless it was an emergency which resulted in extractions. I was not able to have regular preventative dental care until I was working and have been playing catch up ever since. At 67 I have very few teeth that are not filled or root canaled and crowned.Also, I have an upper bridge and a lower partial denture. I just had a series of gum grafts and no doubt in the future will be looking at more. Right now I suffer with TMJ and am waiting to have an appliance made that will help with that. I also see a physical therapist who adjusts my jaw and massages my neck ,head and face, the therapy has helped me tremendously.

Honored Contributor

Did your daughters pay for this @LilacTree? Because if they didn't then they should keep their opinions to themselves. Mom is supposed to not be able to chew??? Unless I am misreading this, you go girl and continue with the work. 

I also doubt the the dentist would reimburse you. 

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

They have all your money and most likely will get 0 back, since it is specific to your mouth, so go ahead, no reason to be with out teeth.

If you were at all unsure you should not of started the process

@I am still oxox

I was not unsure until my girls started making me feel I was wasting money.  I had to get the old bridge off because the molar was so bad and the pain was constant, and I was afraid of infection, so I really had no choice. 

Yes, I could have had all three teeth under the old bridge pulled, because the other two were just "nubs" having already been shaved down to accommodate the original bridge many years ago.  But I chose to replace the bridge.

I think I would not get much of a refund, you are right that all of the work is already done on the final bridge which represents most of the cost.  He just has to put it in.

I'm thinking I will just have it done and if I die in a year, so what really . . . so I would just have more money sitting in my bank account?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

If it were me I would finish it.If you are well enough. It

's paid for. You might regret not having it done, eating could become a problem. It sound like the really awful part is over with and this isn't too involved

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Did your daughters pay for this @LilacTree? Because if they didn't then they should keep their opinions to themselves. Mom is supposed to not be able to chew??? Unless I am misreading this, you go girl and continue with the work. 

@Trinity11

No, they did not.  And I'm sure they are just thinking of me, not themselves.  It is not enough money to make any difference in their inheritance.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

If it were me I would finish it.If you are well enough. It

's paid for. You might regret not having it done, eating could become a problem. It sound like the really awful part is over with and this isn't too involved

@cherry

You are right also, cherry.  I am so used to dental work that it's nothing to me.  What's left will take 20 minutes, take the temp bridge out, clean up a little bit, put the permanent bridge in.

Thanks everyone.  You helped me greatly in making the decision!! 

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree 

Iam 59 have all my teeth, so far healthy gums. My Dad 93 has all his teeth. With that said, If in the event this changed, my priorities are clear! ME! 

Unbelievable your Daughter's would suggest such a thing. Ignore them. 

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree...my rheumatologist always has told me to keep my teeth in good shape....I am fortunate because I have very good teeth. That being said, ra can affect the jaw and I would think you want want to make sure your ability to chew is not impaired.

The bridge is already made...what do you have to lose to have it finished. I think it will make a difference in the health of your mouth. 🌼🌼🌼

Trusted Contributor

I, like you, have spent thousands and thousands and thousands of $$$ on dental procedures over the years as I had serious periodontal issues until the last few years when I essentially had my entire mouth rebuilt.

Regardless of your age, if that bridge will assist you in eating comfortably I would not hesitate to go ahead and pick it up.  

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11

No, they did not.  And I'm sure they are just thinking of me, not themselves.  It is not enough money to make any difference in their inheritance.

I guess I don't get it because your health would be affected by this. Not being able to chew? How is that thinking of you?