Super Contributor

Re: Dental issues.....again....

On 8/16/2014 kachina624 said:
On 8/15/2014 Colonel Meow said:

Oh, I feel badly for all you ladies who have been experiencing such issues! {#emotions_dlg.crying} I'm going to ask a question that may seem obtuse, but please realize that I'm asking in all sincerity and with genuine curiosity.

At what point do you make the decision to just pull the tooth rather than try procedure after procedure to fix it? Some of you have spoken about tens of thousands of dollars being spent on dental procedures (with no help from insurance). Has there ever been a time that you just had to throw in the towel and give up on a tooth?

I've always had regular excellent dental care but all sorts of serious problems. Went almost weekly to University of Tx Dental School for several years and had tons of work done for cost only. Then I moved and continued to have issues that were very expensive and only minimally covered by insurance. About 3 years ago I threw in the towel and went for an upper denture in lieu of natural teeth. It's not entirely satisfactory but I have not regretted having done it.

I've never heard of a really great dental insurance plan. They're a lose/lose situation for an insurance company so the benefits are limited at best.

I had all mine pulled several years ago at the age of 43. Not only were my teeth inherently bad but I was on medication as a teen that discolored them. Getting dentures was the best thing I ever did. I haven't had a sinus infection since AND my plates hold my mouth in position that I no longer snore.

Super Contributor

On 8/16/2014 mosky said:

When people get older,and are asked the question what would you do if you could do it over ...they say take better care of my teeth.I am being serious...If you have the available funds,you,ll be glad you took care of them.Each time you lose one,it does not seem that important,but it decides what you will be able to eat,in the future.I know it will work out for you!

That's not true. I have full dentures and can eat anything that anyone else can have.

Super Contributor

On 8/16/2014 mosky said:

When people get older,and are asked the question what would you do if you could do it over ...they say take better care of my teeth.I am being serious...If you have the available funds,you,ll be glad you took care of them.Each time you lose one,it does not seem that important,but it decides what you will be able to eat,in the future.I know it will work out for you!

Absolutely not true. I work with elderly clients and all their regrets are about not having reached out to friends or family members more, not having had kids or sometimes a trip they wish they had taken. Not one in all these years has ever mentioned their teeth!

Super Contributor

On 8/16/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:
On 8/16/2014 mosky said:

Absolutely not true. I work with elderly clients and all their regrets are about not having reached out to friends or family members more, not having had kids or sometimes a trip they wish they had taken. Not one in all these years has ever mentioned their teeth!

My sister is a dental hygienist. She said she hears people lamenting all the time while they are in her chair that they wish they had taken better care of their teeth when they were younger.

I doubt it would be on the list of, "What would you do over in life if you could do it again though."

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

Hang in there, Gazelle! I've had some dental problems lately too, specifically with two molars. There have been advancements in partial dentures in recent years (look up precision and semi-precision partials). I'm considering two dental implants for two molars vs. a partial or a combination. I try to laugh about my "white trash teeth" because with cosmetic dentistry these days the standard is so high in the smile department. I do what I can with my limited resources and leave it at that.

Trusted Contributor

How old are you? Maybe you are calcium deficient.
Contributor

Boy do I understand what you are going through. Had two implants, two crowns, plus I am losing bone in my lower jaw. I had cadaver bone put in to help. We have excellent insurance and we were still having to pay out $10,000. I just broke a tooth and have been putting off calling my dentist. I know it will be thousands of dollars to do a implant and crown.

It never ends, still counting my blessings.

Super Contributor

UPDATE... I decided to go back to the dentist that did most of the crowns in my mouth( I have a lot...) I just felt uncomfortable having the dentist that I was going to for cleanings to do the crowns. MY old dentist made me a new temporary that fits GREAT! Smiley Happy I will go back tomorrow (Wednesday) to that dentist and have the tooth prepped for a crown, and (as long as I do not need to do a root canal on the tooth as it has a fracture in it....) I will get the crown the same day as they make the crowns themselves, so no two week wait with a temporary.. Then, I will go back in a week or so and have a molar crowned on the opposite side that has a huge old mercury filling in it. Hope I do not have to have a root canal on that one... we will see as the tooth is pretty fractured. I am just about worn out with these teeth... I guess I am one of the last generation in the 50's where everyone was given mercury fillings. They last a long time... BUT... RUIN YOUR TEETH in the long run.

Moral to my story is: To young people 20's and up... TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH. Do not be a fool and go with out cleanings and dental care. Get a loan, take a second job, make payments... do what you have to to get those dental check ups. I did not take care of my teeth when young.. just did not understand the importance of it all. Now I GET IT. Wish I had GOT IT sooner... I wish someone had woke me up to the facts about teeth.... I just never really understood the importance of dental health. They need to stress it in the schools!! You only get one shot.

Esteemed Contributor

vaccinia: Don't go back to that dentist --- I smell a scammer. Dentists are on the top of the SCAM list --- as there are too many dentists and not enough business. You need to get a 2nd -- even a 3rd opinion. I was scammed by a dentist a few years ago. Now I go to a great, honest dental office near my house. If u don't have insurance or are a senior, dentists will always give u a discount.

Super Contributor

WELL..... it has been 5 days since I had the broken crown replaced... new crown put on (this dentist makes the crowns right there... no ten day wait with a temporary!) my tooth revolted from the abuse of preparing the tooth for the new crown, it was sensitive, painful, aching for days. Today it feels a bit better, but, not perfect. I can chew on it, was not sensitive to hot or cold this morning and does not ache as much. It took that long for it to just settle down. The tooth does have a crack in it, and will most likely have issues down the road. But, if I can just get a few more years out of it before I need to do a root canal, I will be happy. I have the other tooth with the mercury filling scheduled to crown on September 11. Maybe sooner if they have an opening. That is an iffy tooth as well as it also has fractures in it and may not like being crowned. But at least I am half way there and on schedule for things to do prior to my hip replacement surgery.