Respected Contributor

Dental implants: how do they do it?

I've seen all the ads but no one ever discloses how it's actually done, especially in ONE day.

Do they take casts of your teeth, start making the replacements, pull all your teeth, and then hammer the implants into place? The very thought makes me cringe.

Fortunately I don't need them but I wonder how the procedure is actually carried out...and I'm guessing the cost a fortune.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Dental implants: how do they do it?

I've had 3 dental implants because I still had baby teeth in my 50's and at 60!  I don't know how they can possibly do it it in one day. From the day of my surgery to the completion of my final crown it took 6 months.  It takes that long for the tissue to heal. I went to an oral surgeon who specialized in dental implants.  I had to go back every other month to make sure it was healing well.  Each implant cost me $5,000.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I agree, those commercials make me cringe too!  Very fortunate that I have good teeth and have always taken care of them.  Regular visits to the dentist and the eye doctor are my only regular contact with the medical profession!

Valued Contributor

I am a pro  I have had several over the years  Ever time is new  The procedure is simple  Dont ever do this in one day  It is surgery that can ruin your whole mouth if not done by a real pro  My surgeon has been doing these foe years  He is well known  He says the one day people end up coming to him to fix them  Think about it  I have to wait for at least 2 months for everything to heal  Sometimes they need to add bone that has to  mature  Doing it in one day is crazy talk  After it heals you go to a dentist that makes the tooth and screws it in  It sounds like all this is painful but it isnt  I find the novocaine is the worst  They give several shots so you can then relax  It takes a very short time  Your dentist will make a temorary tooth so you wont be left toothless  I hope I helped  I dont feel condident in a whole lot off stuff but this I do

Trusted Contributor

Here are  a couple of clinical explanations of dental implants. These articles explains the principles and mechanics as well as merits and considerations. They do not explain how multiple implants are accomplished in a one-day appointment. (Though it's not hard to imagine doing a few in one session. Just hard to imagine how successful or comfortable that method might be!)

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/dental-implant-surgery/about/pac-20384622

https://www.medicinenet.com/dental_implants/article.htm

Here are more procedural explanations to familiarize a patient with what to expect:

https://www.smilesaversdentistry.com/dental-implant-steps

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-to-expect-during-a-dental-implant-procedure-1059372

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Those commercials are very misleading. The implant process is a three-step procedure...scan, drill the implant into the bone then wait three to four months then come back to get the abutment teeth, or secure dentures, whichever the case. The implants themselves go into the bone, under the gums and the hole is stitched closed for a few months until the implant integrates into the jawbone. 

I'm scheduled to get six implants with six abutment teeth. I've been scanned and I'm now waiting for the right time to do it. I'm not going in while we are in a pandemic. 

One of my implants is going in where I have a bad tooth which needs to be pulled. My surgeon told me he will pull it on the day the implants go in. He said the bone best accepts an implant better when the tooth is freshly pulled. He said the bone has a good chance of healing properly around the implant that way. The other implants are going in where I have lost five teeth from scleroderma...and more teeth will fall out in the future. It's just a matter of time until I have a mouthful of implants.

Honored Contributor

I am throwing this out to see what thoughts are ,it is about teeth, my 85 yr.old mom,had 3 teeth pulled on bottom,she just has 4 teeth on bottom now ,looking into a partical made for lower  , her gum bone loss is too much to have dentures made for bottom,she does have dentures for the top.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

I am throwing this out to see what thoughts are ,it is about teeth, my 85 yr.old mom,had 3 teeth pulled on bottom,she just has 4 teeth on bottom now ,looking into a partical made for lower  , her gum bone loss is too much to have dentures made for bottom,she does have dentures for the top.

@goldensrbest 

Candidates for implants are people who have ample bone mass in the jaw. There has to be enough bone there to accommodate the screwed-in implant. They do a scan first thing to see if there is enough bone.

I'm just the opposite. I have plenty of bone but not enough gum tissue to hold a denture. Dentures would fall out of my mouth so I had to go with implants.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had one tooth done last year and it took from starting in February to ending in October. It's takes quite a while to heal before they can do the next step. I asked my dentist how these places do it in a day and he says it's a lie. They basically give you dentures to tide you over until the next procedure. They tell you this lie to get people who are scared into believing it can be done in a single visit. That way you will figure you can do anything if it's only one visit.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   The one day customers are probably 1% of all the customers....so that is just false advertising.   It is time consuming and very expensive. Also not for everyone especially if you have a lot of bone loss in your jaw like I do. 

many implants fail  months and years later....some never take.