Respected Contributor

Re: Dental implant, sinus lift & bone graft

I lost a tooth a while ago and realized that it had caused all my sinus problems. When asking if I needed an implant (I already have 9 of them), I was told that if I wanted one they would have to do a sinus lift and that it could create all kinds of problems. Since the tooth is toward the back, I have decided to go without. Haven't had any more sinus problems.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/1/2015 CLEM said:

I lost a tooth a while ago and realized that it had caused all my sinus problems. When asking if I needed an implant (I already have 9 of them), I was told that if I wanted one they would have to do a sinus lift and that it could create all kinds of problems. Since the tooth is toward the back, I have decided to go without. Haven't had any more sinus problems.

I really hope I don't end up with sinus problems. I never had any before this.

My mouth is small and with the missing molar on top I sometimes have problems chewing. Also I grind my teeth, so I'm hope this will dissipate the pressure. I don't want any more cracked teeth from bruxism. I wear an night guard, that doesn't help during the day.

I tried wearing a partial but I hated it.

Super Contributor

I am amazed at what you all have gone through. May I ask why you chose implants as opposed to partial or full dentures? Honestly, if I were 25 and lost, let's say, a front tooth then I might have one. But near to 60 years old, I can't imagine putting myself through the expense but mostly the pain and risk of infection, nerve damage,etc.. I know many people with dental appliances and they are made so well now that no one would know and they are able to eat anything. What persuaded you to go this route?

Honored Contributor

I can only speak for myself but the bone was so deteriorated and old with osteoporosis that the gum was not going to accommodate a bridge or a denture. I had to have the gum built back up with cadaver bone. It cannot lay right without bone. Then as long as the bone had to have the grafting and the sinus surgery had to be done because of the faulty root canal, why not put an implant? We were already 75% of the way there. If you spend $10,000 on it already, why not go another $5000 and get it done right. I am just speaking to my own and no one else's experience. I had tried a partial on my bottom but ended up having to have grafting and implants there as it just flipped right out as the bone was not there to hold it. I have terrible osteoporosis and any bone replacement like Reclast or Fosamax is very dangerous and could cause osteonecrosis. Medical advances may not be.

Valued Contributor

On 1/31/2015 namealreadytaken said:

I now have a terribly painful condition called trigeminal neuralgia as a result. I had taken the maximum dose of antiepileptic drugs for the pain to no avail and no pain medication even touches the pain.

-----

I feel for you, namealreadytaken. I have this condition, also. I've had it for over 10 yrs. I have the atypical TN, which is not a good candidate for surgery or other treatments. It really stopped me being able to life my life. I hope your treatments go well, and you return to pain-free living.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

On 2/1/2015 SerenityNowMyndi said:

I now have a terribly painful condition called trigeminal neuralgia as a result. I had taken the maximum dose of antiepileptic drugs for the pain to no avail and no pain medication even touches the pain.

-----

I feel for you, namealreadytaken. I have this condition, also. I've had it for over 10 yrs. I have the atypical TN, which is not a good candidate for surgery or other treatments. It really stopped me being able to life my life. I hope your treatments go well, and you return to pain-free living.

Thank you, Sweet one. I do wish you well also. Please keep me in your prayers and thoughts and I will do the same for you. I have had it only since 2009 and I do not know how you have borne it this long. Antiepileptics only last for a time and then their efficacy wears off. This is such a rare disease, not much attention paid to it but I hope some of us can open the eyes of the public to this, also known as the suicide disease.

Honored Contributor

For those of you who do not understand our plight and who suffer the suicide disease, here is a link I hope you will read and consider it could be you, your daughter, your mother or yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal_neuralgia

Super Contributor

On 2/1/2015 Mary Bailey said:

Thank you all for your replies. It's very interesting to hear what others went through.

I have little to no pain. I'm still swollen. The sinus lift was loud and extremely jarring. I have antibiotics for 2 weeks & pain pills as needed.

The periodontist said 6 months healing before the crown. I hope it's sooner. I see my regular dentist in 2 week & the periodontist in a month.

Don't rush it. I had a sinus lift and implant, and everything seemed to go really well, but in less than a year it failed and had to be redone. There was no real reason for it to fail, I was just in the unlucky tiny percentage that fail for no reason. For the do-over, I had to wait longer to make sure the bone had really grown as well as possible. It all went fine the second time, I've had no further problems.

As for "why not go with dentures", I have a horrible gag reflex and can't stand anything touching the roof of my mouth. I can't even begin to imagine upper plate dentures.

Valued Contributor

On 2/1/2015 namealreadytaken said:
On 2/1/2015 SerenityNowMyndi said:

-----

Thank you, Sweet one. I do wish you well also. Please keep me in your prayers and thoughts and I will do the same for you. I have had it only since 2009 and I do not know how you have borne it this long. Antiepileptics only last for a time and then their efficacy wears off. This is such a rare disease, not much attention paid to it but I hope some of us can open the eyes of the public to this, also known as the suicide disease.

I have learned to micro-manage my triggers. For instance, I never ever go to a restaurant during peak hours, because there is more of a risk for screaming kids (one of my worst triggers is that certain high-pitched octave that kids reach). So, we eat at off-peak hours. I keep ear plugs with me at all times, in case we are somewhere that gets noisy. I rarely go to movie theaters, because I can't control the sound level there. My dh is kind enough to do the kitchen duties, because one of my worst triggers is dish noises, such as dropping a plate on the counter or even a fork or spoon making contact with a dish, while eating. Other triggers are picketing effect of light flashing through the trees, or oncoming headlights at night. While traveling during hours with glare, I have had to wear a mask over my eyes, while my husband drives. Don't get to enjoy much scenery, but at least the TN isn't triggered.

I find that, at least in me, TN is always 'there,' but it is like a dial on a radio. I'll be having a good day & feel normal, then BOOM! Dog barks, dish drops near me, some type of trigger happens. Then the lightning strikes and the TN is activated, & the dial of pain is turned on & cranked up. My husband & son & even our dogs are all conditioned to a loud noise for my sake, and everybody moves into commando-mode to make the noise stop-our dogs even remove themselves from the room if it was one of them forgetting & barking near me! God bless them, somehow they know.

If the TN wasn't activated to 100%, then I have to be exceedingly careful for days or even weeks, to make sure it doesn't get more triggers worsening the pain level, like a dial on a radio adjusting volume. Eventually it calms back down, but can take an agonizingly long time. In me, it is a constant crushing burning pain, accompanied by intermittent lightning strikes. I didn't even know the physical body could endure that much pain & still stay conscious. At the worst, I was in so much agony that I couldn't sleep, and was only able to catch a few moments rest by dreaming that terrible things were happening to the affected side of my face. For example, in one dream I was shot in the right side of my face @ point-blank range. I realized later that this was my dreaming mind's way of explaining the pain to keep me asleep for a few precious seconds longer, before I would wake up in agony again. It has been a living nightmare, and I definitely hold fellow sufferers in my prayers. Godspeed.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

I have days that I have to be careful and remind my husband not to rush me into the auditorium at church. When the small children are getting out of their SS classes and heading toward the exits or the auditorium, there is an electricity created by the footsteps in unison and that can create strikes that will not stop. Walking fast on concrete/cement paving, especially during cold weather with the steel trappings can create a horrible rush of triggers. Like you, the restaurants with sounds of service employees, dishes, feet stamping on the often cement floors can trigger but worse for me is the toothbrush, the small drop of water that hits my eye when showering or the attempt at putting on mascara or makeup. The light touches can be the worst. I am embarking on another journey with the gamma knife after having no success with the surgery and partial relief with the anti-seizure drugs. I wish you the very best. I hope that one day a cure will be affected that will surprise the world and release any and everyone from the grips of what must not even be fathomable to others. Yes, I do awaken to nightmares of something being done to my face, like a shot being fired into it, a dental drill, etc., where I am awaken screaming. Plus if you are not by hurting you are fearing the next moment will bring hurt and shock.