Super Contributor

$12. cleaning with insurance.

Respected Contributor

I just received a bill for the balance left on my 6 month check-up and cleaning. (no x-rays) The total was $231. My insurance paid $186.30, leaving a balance of $44.70

I've been going to the same dentist for 30-ish years.  There are numerous dental clinics in the area that offer family plans.

Respected Contributor

Had no idea how much the costs have gone up until you asked. January's visit:

6 month exam $58, bitewing xrays $68, cleaning $102, fluoride varnish $43; $271 total. My insurance covers the entire cost but, I probably could put aside a savings account for dental work and come out better. Dental costs are high but my dentist seems to keep up on everything and seems to be upgrading equipment often. I'm hard on my teeth (night grinder) and have to get crowns often so I'll keep the insurance...and hopefully my teeth!

Respected Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

Had no idea how much the costs have gone up until you asked. January's visit:

6 month exam $58, bitewing xrays $68, cleaning $102, fluoride varnish $43; $271 total. My insurance covers the entire cost but, I probably could put aside a savings account for dental work and come out better. Dental costs are high but my dentist seems to keep up on everything and seems to be upgrading equipment often. I'm hard on my teeth (night grinder) and have to get crowns often so I'll keep the insurance...and hopefully my teeth!

@Carolina925, I, too am a grinder.  I decided to get a night guard fitted for me to wear when I sleep.  So far, so good, knock on wood.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I need a new dentist. Just went the other day and it cost $239 for just a basic cleaning and 3 minute dental exam. My dentist used to provide the exam free of charge but now charges 80 bucks....for a 3 minute looksy.

That's almost as much as a plumber......Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@Terrywu wrote:

I have no dental insurance, but my dentist offers a 1 year plan two cleanings, check ups and X-rays twice a year for $200.  Any additional work is done at 30% off.

@Terrywu    Wow great deal.

Super Contributor

Here in Oregon:

$150 Dentist

$250 Periodontist (below the gum line)

It's true rural dentists are more affordable, but city dentists end up correcting their work and it costs a fortune.  I drive 2 hours for a dentist who is educated up to the minute with the latest technology.  My old rural dentist still had a spit sink!  And he'd say things like "Well,  let's try this"

I have no insurance and I'm on disablity but my teeth are clean