Valued Contributor

I'm wondering what people would do with the virus today?  Would you go to the dentist for a broken tooth?  I broke part of a molar off Friday and sent an email to my dentist.  I'll call her tomorrow if I don't hear from her.  I'm the type that always goes in and doesn't wait if I have a dental problem.  At first I thought I'll go in.  Then after hearing how the virus can affect the lungs and now the heart it's kind of changed my mind.  I know my dentist would have a clean office, she's obsessive, but she'll have protection I won't.  I haven't been out since the beginning of March so I'm good staying home.  My daughter shops for me once a week.  Would you go in or wait to see what the next few weeks bring? Right now my dentist has closed her practice but will take care of emergencies.  The longer I think of it the more I think I should wait.  Right now I'm okay it's just sharp and  bothersome.

Respected Contributor

My dentist is closed BUT he will be available for emergencies only.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

My dentist is closed BUT he will be available for emergencies only.  Good luck!

Mine cancelled all appointments except for emergencies. Talk to your dentist and see if she thinks it should be taken care of now vs waiting.

Esteemed Contributor

My dentist's office is closed for the month of April.  Only open for emergencies.

Respected Contributor

If the dentist would see me I would go.

Honored Contributor

@kismet You should be covered if the dentist has on a mask, gloves, and a gown.

Quite a few are taking emergencies.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

my dentist is closed for the entire month of april. i wont be surprised if it extends beyond that.

they will be taking calls for emergencies.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

The problem is if I knew that things were going to normal soon I would wait but then if the whole molar breaks then I may have to see a dental surgeon to get it pulled and that's another thing.  I have seen how obsessive she is but that's good for patients.  I think if I go in I will tell her I want it filled at the same time and not just checked out.  Usually I go in and she will check it and then I'll go in in a few days again and get a filling.  I have to take antibiotics too before I go in because of knee replacements.  I'm 74 would that change you going in.

Super Contributor

I would follow the dentist's instructions.   The office is probably spotless, as usual, and, as another posted pointed out, will be wearing PPE.   You can wear a mask (not during the exam, obvously) if that would make you feel better.  And sanitize your hands after the visit, and when you get home.   

Trusted Contributor

@kismet   I also broke off 1/2 of my upper right molar (it has a crown in it) and I called my dentist but he said it's not an emergency. All dental offices are closed in my area, unless it is a bonifide emergency. So I have to wait until all this virus stuff is over to get it fixed. I'm surprised dental offices are open in your area. You are lucky.