Honored Contributor

@on the bay This is exactly my concern and why I am not fully at peace with this decision.  I have suggested to my husband to get a second opinion or wait to think it through.  He is determined to go ahead with this and the dentist called on Friday to confirm that he would be there.  My husband made it clear that he wanted to proceed.  Thank you for your response and I do agree with the concerns you stated.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd -

Another thing to consider, is that if he is not in the best of health or recovering, crowns are long procedures with lots of appointments.

Whenever there is a problem with those teeth or crowns, he will have more appointments.

There is nothing worse when you feel bad already and you have a painful problem with the tooth.

My father needed to go to the dentist while doing chemo, then he got too ill to have any work done. He was very proud he had his own teeth but they gave him lots of problems.

I hope your husband gets the best advice and best solution for him.If another dentist says his roots and teeth are healthy enough to hold crowns, you'll know you are ok.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Thanks @fthunt   I appreciate your response.  My husband is adamant about not having his teeth pulled that would be required in order to have a partial.  I've thought about what you are saying, but because of his wishes we are going to attempt to save the pulp of his teeth.  Thanks for your concern.Heart

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd  I had the entire mouth restructuring laid out ahead of time so I knew exactly what the cost was going to be in the end.  My dentist (here in Phx) was an absolute gem throughout all the procedures and he always followed up with me in the evening to make sure I was doing OK.  No matter how many questions I had, he was always available to answer and discuss alternatives if I had any concerns.

One of the greatest achievements of my life is having oral health. 

I spent so many years using 'band aid" approaches to try and remedy each problem that arose only to have additional problems crop up that oftentimes neutralized the costly procedures I already had undergone.  For example, I had 4 costly periodontal rear tooth surgeries that all failed!!  So much pain and expense for essentially NOTHING!! 

These are the reasons I spent a lot of time discussing strategy with my dentist.

Again, there is a healing curve for each procedure so I definitely applaud you for being there for your husband while the healing takes place.  

And YES, my dentist put my before and after shots in his catalog of success stories that he shows prospective patients.

Good Luck!!

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry your husband and you have to go through this.  I have had many dental issues over the years and with my first bridge I found that I was allergic to the material that went over the filed down tooth and that went just into the gum tissue.  I'm sure this is rare but lucky me...  

My point is that there may be a way to try whatever material used in making your husbands new teeth.  You could at least ask considering the cost for both of you.

Best of luck and please let us know the end result.

Blessings,  Cathy

Honored Contributor

I wish you and your husband the very best.  I have gone through more than $100,000 (and no insurance) dental work over the past 8 years.  I wish you great success.

Honored Contributor

@peridotjude   I so appreciate your experience and thoughts.  You have probably seen similar situations.  Yes, he has had recent xrays taken with our current dentist.  In fact, two different kinds.  It was the xrays that showed holes in his teeth and the amount of crumbling of his teeth.  He had a previous dentist that was a nightmare and I insisted on finding another. (I won't trouble you with that horror story,.,,just about the $$$$).  I did research and looked for excellent reviews and got a good recommendation from our oral surgeon about our current dentist.  He is very professional, has the best equipment for his patients, and he is very gentle and has assuaged a lot of the fear that my husband has towards dentists.  

I feel a sense of relief having read your comments and will spend a bit of time reviewing our concerns before we begin this process tomorrow morning.  Our dentist's whole office staff  is extremely professional and helpful.  We were told our dentist scheduled extra time for my husband just in case of any unexpected events.  So I know we will have a few minutes to review before beginning.  It is hard to trust doctors after the surgeries that my husband has endured, but we do have confidence in this dentist. Thank you for your comments.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dental Issues

[ Edited ]

@on the bay   Yes, you are very insightful.    Thank you for your kind words and thoughts.

@on the bay wrote:

@phoenixbrd -

Another thing to consider, is that if he is not in the best of health or recovering, crowns are long procedures with lots of appointments.

Whenever there is a problem with those teeth or crowns, he will have more appointments.

There is nothing worse when you feel bad already and you have a painful problem with the tooth.

My father needed to go to the dentist while doing chemo, then he got too ill to have any work done. He was very proud he had his own teeth but they gave him lots of problems.

I hope your husband gets the best advice and best solution for him.If another dentist says his roots and teeth are healthy enough to hold crowns, you'll know you are ok.

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom   Thank you for your kind words.  Ugh, sound like you have really had some challenges.  Yes, I'm paying attention to the materials being used, it is a good point. Thank you for your prayers and well wishes, it means a lot to us.

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

I am so sorry your husband and you have to go through this.  I have had many dental issues over the years and with my first bridge I found that I was allergic to the material that went over the filed down tooth and that went just into the gum tissue.  I'm sure this is rare but lucky me...  

My point is that there may be a way to try whatever material used in making your husbands new teeth.  You could at least ask considering the cost for both of you.

Best of luck and please let us know the end result.

Blessings,  Cathy

Honored Contributor

Re: Dental Issues

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday And I thought we were paying a lot (although I'm sure we are just at the beginning of the expenses).  You must have had implants in your whole mouth.  I wish dental insurance would catch up with the times and start covering some of the costs of implants.  Thank you for your well wishes, they are appreciated.

@Nonametoday wrote:

I wish you and your husband the very best.  I have gone through more than $100,000 (and no insurance) dental work over the past 8 years.  I wish you great success.