Honored Contributor

Tomorrow my husband has a three hour dental appointment.  He is having 7 upper front teeth being prepared for crowns.  He teeth are deteriorating/rotting .  He does not want dentures. This will cost us 5k for the upper 7 and the insurance is paying the dentist 2k.  So the cost is 7K for this visit.  

We will repeat this for the lower 7 front teeth another 5k for the lower from us plus whatever will be necessary for the back teeth.  He just recently had a deep cleaning, a root canal, and a crown in the back.  By the time we finish, these procedures will probably be about 15K out of our pocket that is what we owe not what the dental insurance is paying to them.

Have any of you had a similar experience?  I am concerned about his teeth being filed down to stubs and covered in a crown, but I know that his teeth are deteriorating so I just have to trust this is the best decision.  His pain/health is my main concern.  We are working on being calm, as I know my husband is nervous about this situation.  His health  is tenuous as a result of the surgeries, so I do my best to not be reactive.

Honored Contributor

I certainly hope this works out well for your husband, and proves to be a good decision.

I too would be hesitant based on the fact the dentist is simply covering up teeth that have started to deteriorate.  . My mind doesn’t wrap around how a tooth that looks bad on the outside can be trusted to have a healthy root, and stay viable after it is filed down and covered with a crown.   

I was not blessed with great teeth, but have done my best to take care of what is in my mouth.  If I the day comes that I have to make a major decision about my teeth, I will choose dentures.   I absolutely will not do implants or crowns.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop   that is exactly my main concern...what if the pulp is just as rotten as the rest of the tooth.....we will have spent 15K, my husband will have endured a lot of pain, and he will then be faced with the dentures he was trying to avoid.  This is a source of unrest for me, but my husband doesn't even want to discuss at this point. Thank you for your feedback.

Contributor

I am a retired dental hygienist, worked in the field close to 25 years. Just a few thoughts--

Unfortunately, as you know, there is no easy or cheap away around your husband's current dental situation.  Even if he opted for dentures, he'd still have to pay 1000s of dollars. Pain-wise, once the numbing injections are over, he should be in good shape.  After crown preps, he might have some sensitivity to cold, but never any actual toothache. Once the permanent crowns are seated, he should have no sensitivity, and he will be able to brush, floss and chew with them just like natural teeth.

Has he addressed his concerns with his dentist?  Most dentists are very willing to spend a few minutes answering specific questions and allaying worries.

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd I basically had a similar dental situation to your husband that took 2 years to complete.  My teeth and gums were deteriorating due to dental neglect through the years, AND a family history of periodontal disease that I didn't treat with the diligence I should have over most of my life.

I had my lower front teeth and upper front teeth covered with veneers so I now have a lovely smile.  The upper back teeth were done with a combo of crowns and implants.  The bottom rear teeth also a combo of crowns and implants.  Total out of pocket about $22,000!! (still cringe when I write this).  Insurance paid (like with you $2K per year).    I was working at the time in a very demanding job so had to fit procedures around my work commitments.  That's why it took so long.  Also, some of the procedures take a long time in the chair (as you indicated) and there is definitely a recovery period where you have to adjust to eating and drinking according to whatever healing process takes place (with the implants and crowns temps are put in while the permanent teeth are prepared).

Now, 4 years later, my mouth, teeth and gums are in EXCELLENT condition.  I spend literally an hour a day maintaining all the flossing, water piking, sonicare toothbrush and special tooth paste my dentist insists i use.  I floss after everything I eat.

I had a very knowledgeable and compassionate dentist whom I will use forever.  

It was a process that I have no regrets engaging in as the final result was worth it.

I wish your husband the very best as he embarks on this "adventure."  I believe any sacrifice and expense is worth saving your own teeth!!

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd -

I don't see how teeth that are deteriorating would be healthy enough to hold a crown. They may continue to deteriorate under the crown and decay or have infection.

Even with healthy teeth, this can happen.

If my husband was determined to go this route, I would ask that we at least get a second opinion.

No one wants to have dentures, but sometimes esp. with not healthy teeth, they can be a pain-free and healthier and less expensive and more permanent solution.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Contributor

Goodness, if you don't trust your dentist not to place expensive crowns on teeth that have compromised (your word was "rotten") pulp/roots/bone, then maybe you should go get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion elsewhere.  No licensed dentist would ever do such a thing!

Your husband must have had a full set of x-rays--  that's how the dentist determines if any teeth need root canals before crown prep or not.  Just because the enamel is too broken down to fix with fillings, as long as the dentin, pulp, gum tissue and supporting bone are healthy, then that tooth is a good candidate for crown and bridge.

Esteemed Contributor

Most of us have been there - one way or another.  I - have - and recommend a partial rather than covering up 'bad' teeth with expensive appliances when those bad teeth might get worse.  Did you get a second dental opinion?  I'm not liking the sound of work to be done and the cost.  But that's just me.

Prayers to you and hubby.

(crowns vs a partial)

Contributor

@ on the bay

You said <<I don't see how teeth that are deteriorating would be healthy enough to hold a crown. They may continue to deteriorate under the crown and decay or have infection.>>

The answer to that is that when a tooth has a crown prep done, all the enamel is removed (including any decayed enamel, of course), every speck of it, leaving the dentin intact and forming a small "shelf" around the tooth at the top of the roots on which to eventually place the crown.  When the permament crown goes in, it's glued into place with a special cement material that completely seals the dentin layer from  saliva and food debris.

It is possible to get decay under a crown IF someone's hygiene is not good and decay of the root is allowed to start--  it's easy for decay in that area to go under the crown and involve the dentin layer and sometimes even into the pulp (toothache!)

So as I said before, meticulous hygiene and regular professional care, including periodic x-rays, must be a fact of life forever for anyone who has crown and bridge, just as it is for those who have their natural teeth.

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda   I am so happy to hear that you are healed and happy with your results.  We would pay just anything to remedy this situation and I'll bet we are at least in the same financial territory as you or more because the dentist has not suggested what we do about most of the back teeth at this point.  Thank you so much for sharing your story...I'll bet you have a beautiful smile!