Super Contributor

Re: Dental Insurance/Bill question

[ Edited ]

Pay the $91 for crying out loud.  It's YOUR policy and YOU are responsible for knowing the terms of the policy.  It's not the dentist's responsibility to determine whether your particular plan pays for 2 visits per calender year or if there must be at least 6 months between visits.  

Respected Contributor

Sorry, pay the bill.  There is no way anyone in the office can know your personal insurance coverage.  You are responsible for that.  There are so many diffrent plans within each company you cant expect them to keep track of each patient.  They dont know you have  bi annual exam coverage. 

Respected Contributor

Is this a DDS you have gone to over the years & devloped relationship? If so, I'd speak with her billing person about splitting the cost. This sounds reasonable.

Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips  i have not read the other replys

I suggest calling the insurance company and ask for a

"1 time courtesy adjustment"

on  the claim.

then always book for 6 months + 1 day

to avoid it happening again

Valued Contributor

You’re absolutely right and I apologize.  

Valued Contributor

I was actually responding to puppy lips.  At any rate, I apologize for my rude behavior.  

Valued Contributor

I would pay the bill. Medical and dental offices can't keep up with all the details of patients' insurance plans. Some offices have policy terms and conditions programmed into their scheduling and billing software. But even then they don't always get things right. It's the patients' responsibility to know what their insurance policy will cover and under what circumstances. Pay the bill and take it as a lesson learned.

Better, use it as a teaching moment with your son. I have so many friends whose kids headed off to college and blithely racked up hundreds or even thousands of dollars in medical bills because they didn't understand the terms of their parents' insurance policy, i.e., deductible, co-pays, etc. Have a good long talk with your son about his insurance coverage before this sort of calamity hits. Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I called the dentist office this afternoon.  The woman I talked to, whom I have been talking to all along and who knew I was appealing the decision, said they were partly at fault for not having the terms of my plan listed under our family name, that it had to be every 6 months, not twice per year.  She said it is there now.  It should have been there all along.

We agreed to split the $91, so I will pay half of it.  I am not changing dentists, because we like it there.  However, I did cancel my plan with Cigna and will look for insurance that suits our family better.  Or we may go with one of those discount plans that the dentist office told me about.  Those seem to be a good deal too.

Thank you for all your help and responses.  Time to move on.

@Puppy Lips

You are very lucky the dentist agreed to split the bill.  This happened to me once; I paid the bill in full.  It is my responsibility to know the ins and outs of my insurance and not the scheduler's responsibility.

Now, whenever I make an annual or semi annual appointment, I double check to make sure a sufficient amount of time has passed between appointments.

Respected Contributor

This thread saddens me. I see a parent teaching her children that responsibility for oneself is not important and that rules, regulations and restrictions are for other people. What the OP is teaching by example is entitlement. Now we can see how it starts. I hope the OP never complains about the sense of entitlement others have.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@StephaniM wrote:

I was actually responding to puppy lips.  At any rate, I apologize for my rude behavior.  

@StephaniM Thank you. Apologize accepted.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead