Honored Contributor

Re: Dental Insurance/Bill question

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Thank you for all you responses.  I will pay the bill.  I have already cancelled the insurance and will look for other insurance.  I will send letters to vent my frustrations, only to make me feel better if nothing else.

I DO think the dentist office knew that our policy was strictly 6 months between cleanings.  So I am not happy with them either.  They did not tell me at the time I made the appointment that it was less than six months.  I do not have dates for the dental cleanings of everyone in my family in my head, but they have them in their system.  I may change dentists.

@Puppy Lips  I understand your frustration but we patients have to take control, especially today.  I know you don't have the dates in your head but unfortunately you need to have something written down and also go over your plan details again.

Calling ahead to CIGNA, too.

We have to pre pro-active today.   Whether the office was wrong to book that appt. isn't a point anymore.  If you had kept track of your dates and kept on top of the details of your plan benefits you could avoid this.

I'm not picking at you; I know it's a hassle but in the long run it saves the headache.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@mintedrose wrote:

I guess im a bit confused because doesnt the new year start in Jan which means the new insurance year as well? Unless they go based on a different time frame? Anyway, here's the thing, if you put the blame on the dentist they will put the blame back at you for not knowing your plan. The best thing is to pay since the service was done and the dentist or the person there did spend the time to do the service. I personally think the person in the office messed up because they should not have scheduled you if they were not gonna get paid for it. Usually, they're very much on top of that but you couldve had a person who was new or they missed this entirely. Just be glad that its not hundreds of dollars out of pocket for you for major things like crowns or something, then I would be ******. In this case, just pay the amount and get a better insurance company. 

When I called Cigna to cancel, which I think was on Sept. 6, they let me do it but said they do their cancellations at the end of the month, so I am stuck paying for all of September.  I don't see how they could force anyone into a contract where they can not cancel.  Then people would just not pay if they wanted out and the insurance companines would spend too much time and money trying to sue their former customers.

I know the bill is my responsibility and I will pay it.  But I don't agree with the response from others that the dentist can not keep up with everyone's plan.  That is what they do.  And every plan would be either every 6 months, or twice a year, wouldn't it?  And when they set up a new customer and see what the parameters are, that should be put in under your name and then the dentist will know when booking appointments.  After all, it is in their best interest to do so, if they want to get paid in a timely fashion from the insurance company.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Frequent Contributor

@RespectLife- you're wrong about cleaning coverages per plan.  Straight up wrong.  I have Delta Dental of MN through Allina Health myself and I can tell you that my plan covers 2 cleanings and 2 exams ANY TIME in a contract period, which in my case is 1/1 to 12/31.  ANY TIME, it just can't exceed more than 2 cleanings.  I deal with Cigna, Healthpartners, Delta Dentals (all of them), Metlife, Aetna, Principal, United Healthcare Dental, Assurant, Ameritas... I could go on and on.  They're ALL different.  In my office, we make it a point to ask what the frequency limitations are for preventative services because I KNOW some will cover 1 per 6 mos and some are twice per year.

The plans your employer offers may be 6 months to the date but I promise you not all are that way.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Ask for a discount, pay it and leave it at that.

I always ask for a discount whenever I have to pay a bill. It never hurts to ask.

LOL...that's my husband's theory.  Ever since he turned 60, he everywhere we go he asks if there's a senior discount.  Sometimes it gets embarrassing.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, nervy....were you disputing the ins co. or the procedure?  The doc did what you asked.  Bill should have been paid to dentist, you can dispute all you want.  The amount of the bill is not the issue, why should the doc carry the balance while you whine to your ins co?

geez, take some responsibility for yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nugbucker wrote:

@RespectLife- you're wrong about cleaning coverages per plan.  Straight up wrong.  I have Delta Dental of MN through Allina Health myself and I can tell you that my plan covers 2 cleanings and 2 exams ANY TIME in a contract period, which in my case is 1/1 to 12/31.  ANY TIME, it just can't exceed more than 2 cleanings.  I deal with Cigna, Healthpartners, Delta Dentals (all of them), Metlife, Aetna, Principal, United Healthcare Dental, Assurant, Ameritas... I could go on and on.  They're ALL different.  In my office, we make it a point to ask what the frequency limitations are for preventative services because I KNOW some will cover 1 per 6 mos and some are twice per year.

The plans your employer offers may be 6 months to the date but I promise you not all are that way.  

Well I will be switching insurance so thank you for mentioning names.  The point is that you ask your patients about their plan.  My dentist did not, or knew and ignored it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@StephaniM wrote:

Yes, nervy....were you disputing the cleaning or the procedure?  Bill should have been paid to dentist, you can dispute all you want.  The amount of the bill is not the issue, why should the doc carry the balance while you whine to your ins co?

geez, take some responsibility for yourself.

Seriously?  I was not "whining".  I was disputing a charge that I thought should have been paid.  If they won't cover cleanings, why else are we paying $94 a month for insurance?  I do take responsibility for myself and do not appreciate you saying otherwise.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

With all due respect PL, you were disputing a charge that contractually was not covered.  Did you think you would be an exception and they would pay it because you were mad at them?  

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

One more thought.  Doesn't the dentist office confirm you even HAVE insurance once you supply the information the first time?  I would think that they know the policy restrictions and they would be in their system.  When I make an appointment, it should pop up that cleanings are to be 6 months apart.

Often the person making the appointments is the receptionist.  This person might not have access to your dental records or benefits.  If you would have mentioned that your benefits only allow cleaning every six months and you were not sure of the days, she would have probably put you on hold and asked someone in the office to check for you.

i understand your frustration.  It has happened to be before years ago.  I was going on vacation for a month and went in early, not thinking. 

My dental coverage now allows two preventative visits any time in a calendar year, but now has deductibles and copayments ...no longer 100%.

Honored Contributor

I would be ticked off. If I call to make an appt before the 6 month wait in between they always tell me that. 

ITA it's partly your dentist office fault.

I know my dentist does free cleanings/x-rays for those that cannot afford it. They get their money from paying patients. That's why they try to get me to clean my teeth twice per year plus all the x-rays that I refuse unless I need them.

Anyways long story short they should give you a discount since I'm sure they do that with cash paying patients that don't have Insurance.

Dentist & Doctor offices both have different charges for patients depending on if they are insured or not.

Go higher up & talk to the office manager.