Honored Contributor

Re: Dental Hygienist question?

I go every 6 months and I have never even heard of this method of teeth cleaning. 

Trusted Contributor

Ultrasonic cleaning is generally done on people who do not have a major problem with tartar.  Hand scaling is generally preferred on people who have a major issue with tartar, particularly below the gum line.  Hand scaling is generally more precise and thorough when done by the hands of a skilled hygienist and for that reason, hand scaling is usually more painful, particularly when there is a need to remove tartar below the gum line.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Ultrasonic cleaning is generally done on people who do not have a major problem with tartar.  Hand scaling is generally preferred on people who have a major issue with tartar, particularly below the gum line.  Hand scaling is generally more precise and thorough when done by the hands of a skilled hygienist and for that reason, hand scaling is usually more painful, particularly when there is a need to remove tartar below the gum line.

@Deree  Mine does both that's why I'm there for over an hour. I've had periodontal work done three times over many years.

Regular Contributor

The hygienists where I go do both the ultrasonic and the hand scaling too. They haven't been able to do the ultrasonic during the pandemic because they can't use aerosols, they said. I have to have the deep cleaning done due to past gum disease. It does hurt. It feels like it hits nerves in areas with a lot of recession. The one hygienist said it partly hurts because the water the ultrasonic cleaner uses is cold, so she used warmer water and it helped.