Respected Contributor

@cantdrive55   Good luck!  I hope it helps you too.  I was told it is a slower process and to give it at least 6 months to see the difference.  Since it is so easy to take I did not mind, but the wait was worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@yellowrose wrote:

I had a deep cleaning done a few months ago - anesthesia was

offered, but once she stared, I didn't feel like I needed it.  Had mine

done in one sitting, and for me, it wasn't bad.  I expected it to be worse.

My problem came that evening. I wasn't told to NOT eat anything hot or to

rinse. Both of which I did.  Had a tooth that started bleeding, so I was up

most of the night with a tea bag on my tooth.  Took a long while for the

bleeding to stop.  So beware about eating hot soup like I did.

good luck @89135   

Warm (not hot) salt water rinsing a few times after a cleaning disinfects and soothes the mouth and tightens the gums.  Rubber-tipping, done every day thereafter, keeps the gums firm and healthy.

@vsm 

What is Rubber-Tipping?

Honored Contributor

Another term I never heard of for teeth so I need to read up. I learned of oil pulling for dental health out on these boards too.

Respected Contributor

@icezeus-- Here's a short write-up on google:

"Rubber tipping is a technique that strengthens the gums with the use of a handheld dental instrument called a rubber tip gum stimulator. You simply apply pressure to the gums to help prevent gingivitis, a mild form of gum disease, and periodontitis, a more serious form of gum disease."

The instrument looks like a toothbrush, except instead of a brush, it has a small, cone-shaped rubber tip made to fit in-between teeth at the gumline.  Massaging gums gently with the rubber tip (no water needed) helps the blood circulate, thereby firming the gum tissue and keeping it well-attached to the teeth, so bacteria and debris won't  be able to enter a space that might otherwise develop between the gum and the teeth.  Two minutes a day is all you need.

Some toothbrushes have rubber tips at the opposite end.  Replacement tips can be purchased at any market or drug store.  One tip lasts several months.

By the way, brushing your gums when you brush your teeth also helps keep the gums firm.  But the rubber tip helps you go deeper between the teeth.

That's probably more than you wanted or needed to know, but I hope it helps!

Honored Contributor

Here's a video showing how to use a rubber tip stimulator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxo5dvkKdJw

Trusted Contributor

i would ask my dentist first if they think i really need it.. i already go every 6 months for my cleanings.. im sure my insurance wont cover that....