Valued Contributor

Re: Dental Crowns and Cleaning Question

He should take the antibiotic, It is important especially since he has a heart murmur , An infection around the heart creeps up on you and then it can be deadly.MY friends husband died from a heart infection and she worked at the dentist office , The doctor forgot to tell him and she was unaware of this as she was a new employee. cathy from ma.he got what appeared to be a bad cold a week later , then pneumonia and carditis . Sepsis and kidney failure , 

cathy from ma

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

Puttypiesmom

How bad in the pain? Does it come and go? Or is it constant.

I would not let this Dentist do any major work on my teeth until he could give me a good explanation about what could be causing the pain.

I think a second opinion would be helpful. Your first Dentist hasn't seemed to address your concerns. It bothers me that he wants to alter two healthy molars.

@drizzelllathe pain comes and goes and is not as severe as the first day.  My dentist owns his practice and has no other doctor there and is so swamped he has very little time to talk.  I was told while waiting in the waiting room by another patient that he's going to expand his practise by taking some additional office space and hire another doctor.  He definitely needs to do something as he has too many patients and books 4 people to one appointment time, could be more but only 4 of us at that particular time.  The 3 other people waiting all had the same appt time as me.  We were all peeved about who was told they would be the first patient to be seen.  I was told that over the phone yet I was not the first to be seen.  Despite it all we all laughed.  

My other dentist retired and I never want back there to see who took over the practise but I will seek a second opinion now..   

Honored Contributor

So what did you do?

Respected Contributor

never had a crown act up altough I am not certain what you mean by act up.  My crowns were put on after root canals so that there would be no problem with the underying tooth.  Once my dentist prescribed antibiotics prior to and after dental work due to an infection. Crowns do not act up but the teeth under them might - hence root canal.

Honored Contributor

Years ago (beginning around 1976) due to a heart valve issue - I took antibiotics for all dental work as directed by cardio doc.

But that changed more than 10 years ago.  They are no longer required or recommended even for extractions, scaling, etc.