Esteemed Contributor

@Grouchomarx  Don't cancel that appointment. Bleeding gums could be a sign of periodontal disease. You want to maintain your teeth for your overall health. Glad you've increased the flossing and are using a water pik now. But please keep your regular appointment . . . it's especially important that you notify your DDS about those symptoms. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@coffee drinker 

No, my dentist did not add a charge for additional precautions due to COVID.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden Just heard on the morning news that the WHO is recommending that people not go for routine dental work.  The ADA is disputing this of course.  I have a cleaning scheduled for next month after several delays so now I don't know if I'll cancel or not.

Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@SeaMaiden Just heard on the morning news that the WHO is recommending that people not go for routine dental work.  The ADA is disputing this of course.  I have a cleaning scheduled for next month after several delays so now I don't know if I'll cancel or not.

@chlema      That was one of several reasons I cancelled... that the WHO said not to go  for just cleanings right now... and Dr. Fauci also said he did not thing it wise to have cleanings right now.....  

Valued Contributor

Re: Dental Cleaning....

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker wrote:

My original appointment was the end of May, which was cancelled since the office was not open.  I say cancelled since no phone call was made and I found out by accident the office was closed.  Then I waited for it to reopen which it did and still no call to reschedule.  Mind you, I've been going to this practice for more than 50 years.  When I finally got in contact with a real person (was only listening to recordings), I was told they weren't caring for seniors and would call to reschedule.  Still no hope in site for an appointment.  I got so tired of this that I had to call them and ask if they're cleaning "old peoples'" teeth.  Got a chuckle out of the person who answered the phone.  Didn't think it was funny, but I did get an appointment.  If I hadn't gone to this office for such a long time and really like the hygienist, I would have told them to send my records someplace else.  

I have one questions for whoever may want to answer.  Is your dentist adding a "surcharge" to your bill because of the precautions required because of Covid?  Mine is adding $10 to the bill.

@coffee drinker 

I had a dental appointment in  May, there was a $20 charge added due to covid.  My insurance did not reimburse for that.  When I called the office to pay my bill the office manager said "I need to subtract the $20 charge from your balance, we are billing this and some of the insurance companies pay but yours didn't".  I had not even mentioned the charge.

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

So far my dental office hasnt called to reschedule after they cancelled all cleanings months ago! Still waiting, but not sure that I would go even if they did, just yet!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

I debated to . Went for my appointment  but after I was there was worried because the office was small and an old building . They  had  several other pt's in at the same time   with  more than 6 ft apart in various booths  and all staff wore maks and gloves > my worry  crept in when I  began wondering abt their ventilation system  and all the other pt's not wearing masks during their dental procedures. Well, I do not plan on having my teeth cleaned again  in 6months .

Honored Contributor

Re: Dental Cleaning....

[ Edited ]

I was overdue for a cleaning and xrays so I had mine cleaned about a week and a half ago and they did xrays, too.  My xrays showed 3 small cavities so I'm going in today to have them taken care of....ugh.  I have never had that many cavities all at once so I was really surprised. I brush and floss 2 times a day faithfully.  Oh well....so much for that!

In my case, since it had been longer than usual between visits,  it's probably good I went when I did.

Here we arrive at appointed time and call from the car.  They call us back when they are ready for us to come in and we are immediately taken to a room.  No one is allowed in the waiting room.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't had my teeth cleaned since Sept ( cancelled one appointment because of Covid).  I seldom have dental issues but now I frequently use a Butler Tool (has a narrow rubber tip).  I have difficulty flossing because my teeth are very close together but this works like a charm (keep it on my nitestand).

Trusted Contributor

Had my dental cleaning in March.  I trust my dentist so I was never afraid to go.  They did a great job of keeping everyone safe and taking precautions.  I never felt in danger.  Life has to go on.