Respected Contributor

If 400,000 Americans die of covid by the end of the year, we will have about 4 million people dealing with very messy grief.  I am counting 10 mourners for each death.

Services have been delayed or abbreviated.  Some of my friends blame others for the death of a friend or relative.

This sounds like a mental health crisis is coming after the physical crisis ends.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Delayed/Complicated Grief

Yes, grief is a powerful and frightening emotion. My deepest sympathy to all the families who have lost loved ones because of this terrible pandemic.  People are also suffering from loss of homes, jobs and income, illness, isolation and many other issues.

We need to practice love, kindness, patience and generosity much more!

Healing will take time and a lot of support.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

If 400,000 Americans die of covid by the end of the year, we will have about 4 million people dealing with very messy grief.  I am counting 10 mourners for each death.

Services have been delayed or abbreviated.  Some of my friends blame others for the death of a friend or relative.

This sounds like a mental health crisis is coming after the physical crisis ends.

Agree.  It is a pretty grim scenario, especially without a vaccine available.

I have had 5 friends die as a result of Covid.  2 with no underlying medical issues, 2 with diabetes, heart conditions, obeseity.  1 by suicide.

And many I know now have fear of dying from Covid.  And may die from the virus.
From young to elderly.  With and without underlying medical conditions.   No one is immune from being infected by the virus and dying a horrible death.  Dying alone, on a respirator is a horrible thought.

And there will be many more suicides.  Suffering economy, and fragile mental health issues.

I have made my last will and testament.  I hope y'all have too.

Everyone should be prepared, especially now.  🙏

~Life is short. Enjoy everyday as if it is your last day on earth. You could die tomorrow.~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

My son is a therapist and has seen a huge increase in the number of people needing help with anxiety and depression this year.  And it's just begun.

I've often thought of this. It's been a year of death, grief, and anxiety.  It's hard to imagine the impact on families.  Add long-term health issues for those who survive. Include all the anxiety and stress for everyone.  It's a recipe for disaster when it comes to mental health.

All we've heard about this year is death. New numbers every day.  New suffering every day.  Risks are increased because people go to parties, rallies, other crowded places, and some who refuse to wear a mask.  

My state has been #1 and #2 in the country for massive increases in covid.  It's insanity that our governor refuses to try anything to reduce the spread and that people don't listen to science.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart 

@KarenQVC 

All you have said is profoundly sad to me. 

I've not lost anyone, but think every day of those who have.  My sis is a critical care nurse in NJ and was caring for Covid patients early on.  I was crazy with worry.  Things have improved, but she is older and, continues to work, so I am always worried.

Every day I try to be grateful for all I have, but my mind turns to those who have lost so much and will never be the same.  We are not out of the woods, and won't be for a long time.

It's beyond belief knowing it didn't have to be this way.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@CalminHeart 

@KarenQVC 

All you have said is profoundly sad to me. 

I've not lost anyone, but think every day of those who have.  My sis is a critical care nurse in NJ and was caring for Covid patients early on.  I was crazy with worry.  Things have improved, but she is older and, continues to work, so I am always worried.

Every day I try to be grateful for all I have, but my mind turns to those who have lost so much and will never be the same.  We are not out of the woods, and won't be for a long time.

It's beyond belief knowing it didn't have to be this way.

I love your last line.  I've been thinking this too.  It could have been so different.

Honored Contributor

Not only a mental health crisis but a financial disaster is also looming.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I consider myself a survivor of covid. I was very sick for a long time and I am facing long-term health problems b/c of it. 

Letting go of my anger and fear of the financial burden that covid has caused is my only saving grace. My life is changed forever, financially as well as physically and emotionally, and I struggle each day with finding ways to stay positive about it all. I live alone and sometimes that is not an easy thing to do.

ETA - In a peculiar way I feel a bit grief-stricken b/c I am no longer the person I use to be before covid. I am physically not the same and with that I cannot do the things I did before I got sick. The person I was is gone and I'm grieving the loss is what I'm trying to say here.

Esteemed Contributor

Your post makes me sad.....hearing what you have been left with as a result of having Covid.  I hope you can take some comfort in knowing that SO MANY people here missed you very much when you didn't post.  Please know that you are NOT alone.  You are respected and loved by many on this forum.  We are thrilled that you are posting again.

I pray that you regain your preCovid health and strength.

Tends~

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

People suffer losses everyday; cancer, heart disease,  flu, auto accidents, murder etc....

Would be interested in where you got your numbers.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.