Honored Contributor

About 15 years ago there was the MAD COW DISEASE scare. It was going to kill us all....now this....always something....

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Since 2016, the most cases have been reported in New York (309), Illinois (154), and New Jersey (104).  Patients who have medically invasive procedures are most at risk.

@ValuSkr.   And those who have compromised immune systems.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

About 15 years ago there was the MAD COW DISEASE scare. It was going to kill us all....now this....always something....

"mad cow" is still a disease but under control. Until the source was found and eliminated it was very scary because it's always fatal, no treatment, no cure, no vaccine.

It will never be 100% eliminated.    And it's just one source that we know of.

There are people who die from a "mad cow" disease, to this day but don't know how they got it.

It's a prion disease, you can do your own research for more information if you are interested.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

"mad cow" is still a disease but under control. Until the source was found and eliminated it was very scary because it's always fatal, no treatment, no cure, no vaccine.

There are people who die from a "mad cow" disease, to this day but don't know how they got it.

It's a prion disease, you can do your own research for more information if you are interested.

CWD (chronic wasting disease) seen in deer. Some have been found in Colorado, a big hunting state. I don't know the extent of it but it is disturbing to know that people eat deer meat and transmission is still not fully understood. So, for me, I will not eat wild game since I heard about CWD in Colorado. 

Honored Contributor

@EatWell 

That would just about do it.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@software wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

CWD (chronic wasting disease) seen in deer. Some have been found in Colorado, a big hunting state. I don't know the extent of it but it is disturbing to know that people eat deer meat and transmission is still not fully understood. So, for me, I will not eat wild game since I heard about CWD in Colorado. 

A prion disease is not always from eating tainted meat.   There are other prion diseases not associated with mad cow or deer wasting.   

There are people who never know how they got it.

It progresses quickly, usually by the time a definitive diagnosis is found, the patient expires.