Respected Contributor

Re: De Quervain's Tendinosis

I have this in my right wrist. I had an injection from a hand surgeon - after he numbed the area - the relief has lasted 6+ months but he said it would not be a permanent solution. 

Respected Contributor

I was diagnosed with De Quervain's tenosynovitis about 20 years ago.

the doctor recommended that I take astaxanthin and/or resveritrol daily. there were also some pressure techniques/exercises that he suggested. there are some videos on YouTube that may help you. immobilization helps too and you can buy thumb & wrist splints online. when I was first diagnosed he suggested that I sleep with the splints on and that did help.

mine has never gone away completely, but since taking the above supplements (I take both) and applying the pressure techniques when needed the pain is usually very well controlled.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Trusted Contributor

I had physical therapy and have had no more problems.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

I had physical therapy and have had no more problems.

--------

It's amazing how PT helps. 

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I set my I pad on the table. 

But I’ve had a similar problem walking dogs, I switch their leashes and it goes away.

@1Snickers   It is also the leash I am sure.... the contstant pulling on that wrist... do not know how to change that up. Any suggestions?  I fear putting more pressure on my other wrist which bothers me some too... I will end up with this on both wrists and basically become  disabled.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden This would be a good excuse to get your DH to walk the dogs with you.....give your wrist some relief.  My DH takes the leash when we walk Willie.  If he was to take off after something, I swear I would end up in the hospital LOL.  Willie isn't a puller, thank goodness.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Regular Contributor

I found that using a simple stylus when using my iPad helped my sore wrist. They are very inexpensive and using the stylus took the pressure off my wrist and hand. I bought them from amazon and it was about $9 for 8 brightly covered stylus. I’m not sure what the correct word is for the plural of stylus. Best of luck and recovery to you.

Honored Contributor

I don’t know if you will ever progress to needing this, but I was researching  my trigger finger and I found this.A study examined injections of triamcinolone for de Quervain tenosynovitis and found an 89% efficacy rate for the drug. [30] In this report, patients could receive a maximum of three injections 2 weeks apart. A favorable result was measured by a questionnaire indicating no disruption in daily life.

Valued Contributor

Exercises!  I found them on healthline dot com.  I'd post the link but there are ads.  Once there, search for "10 Exercises for De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis."  The exercises that helped me the most were #2 and #1.

Honored Contributor

@lynne6was7   Thank you for the exercises info. Most helpful.  I will start to do some daily especially one and two. I did a few practice ones and wow I could really feel how they address the exact area I am suffering from... so much cheaper than paying PT for showing me the same thing.