Honored Contributor

Dark Chocolate, Not So Healthy

Consumer Reports is reporting that dark chocolate, which many consider a healthy treat, may contain both lead and cadmium which can be harmful.  Two brands that were mentioned, and there may be others, are Hershey's and Trader Joe's.  Read the details.

1. https://www.consumerreports.org/health/food-safety/lead-and-cadmium-in-dark-chocolate-a8480295550/
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Re: Dark Chocolate, Not So Healthy

@Kachina624  I had read this yesterday....thx for posting it.  

My friend in AZ is always asking me if I want a piece when we are together...to be honest I'm not a chocolate fan.  

I sent her this article yesterday...we'll see what she says..DW

Honored Contributor

Didn't read the article but sounds like another one day it's healthy, the next it's poison article.  I enjoy my Dove dark chocolate with or without almonds and will continue to do so.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50    Maybe you ought to read the report since you're a consumer.  It's your health.

Honored Contributor

Of the brands listed, I mostly eat the Ghiradelli's 72% daily, but I also eat other dark chocolate blends that weren't tested.  I do occasionally eat the Doves that were tested.  I don't see my habits changing. If you look long and hard enough, I think you can find something bad about even healthy alternatives.  I noticed sweet potatoes and carrots listed, veggies that most, except the keto crowd, consider healthy.  

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 thank you for posting.  i do eat one square daily of  Lindt 78%.  Article certainly does give one pause.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  Makes me wonder about Andrew Lessman's much touted dark chocolate.

It's a moot point for me because I dislike dark chocolate and never eat it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@kaydee50    Maybe you ought to read the report since you're a consumer.  It's your health.

Thanks for your concern!!  but not necessary.  Wouldn't change my mind in the least.  I doubt that having a piece of chocolate every day is going to kill me--LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624,

That is awful and so disappointing!

Thanks for posting this.

Always hear it here first!Woman Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 

Ah! Consumer Reports! That's where I get all my information on my many health issues. Guess I should ditch everyone on my medical team! 

I see this as being on the coffee merry go round. Great for you today, a week later, it will knock 20 years off your life expectancy.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)