Valued Contributor

Dancing - exercise

[ Edited ]

Has anyone tried "Body Groove"?  I do not know much about it other than I see the occasional promotional advertisement on youtube.

If not Body Groove, is there another dance-type of exercise online that you recommend?

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23  I like ZUMBA the best of all I have tried over the years.  I have done a variety of ZUMBA workouts daily for years and have seen results.  You can download for free many different levels of workouts.  I enjoy dancing and do 3 different ones daily first thing in the morning as I am a real early riser.  Gives me energy for the day.  If you are just starting "Live it Up" is the easiest.

Honored Contributor

I don't do any of those!  Does dancing around your kitchen count???  LOL!  Years ago I did Jazzerccize and arerobics all the time.  But no, these days all I do is walk.  I'd love to get into more things but I'd have to go slow.  I enjoyed dancing at the clubs when I was younger.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies!

@Pook -- that is great info to know about Zumba.  I will look more into it!  And thanks too for mentioning a good beginner one to check out.

@AngelPuppy1 -- dancing in your kitchen totally counts!      Smiley Happy

Thanks again.  I really appreciate it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie_23 You may also want to check out Leslie Sansone's "Walk at Home" dvd's or you can even live stream classes.  I'm old fashioned so I do her dvd's all the time.  Over the years I've collected a whole bunch of them.  They are measured in miles and have music and different movements.  I find them fun, I alternate these with my treadmill Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I LOVE Body Groove!  Started September 2020 and have not regreted one moment.  It's not your typical dance program, you can move at your own speed and the instructors continiously tell you "you can't do this wrong"  You can even do this sitting in a chair.  The primary motivation is to love yourself and not worry about body image.  They stress whole body/mind health in a fun and playful way.  I also swim and walk so it's not the only exercise I do, but I know the benefits from this program are tremendous.  I heartily recommend it to everyone.  Plus the Body Groove community, on FB, is very supportive.

Respected Contributor

I teach LaBlast dance fitness.  It was developed by Louis VanAmstel and is based on the dances  you see on Dancing with the Stars.  He has an on demand product too.  I teach live once a week, but I join Louis' live streams if I can.  I've also taught Zumba.

My dance studio also offers a class called GROOVE, which is more hip hop.  I love dance fitness because it feels like you aren't working out.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't do any of those!  Does dancing around your kitchen count???  LOL!  Years ago I did Jazzerccize and arerobics all the time.  But no, these days all I do is walk.  I'd love to get into more things but I'd have to go slow.  I enjoyed dancing at the clubs when I was younger.  

@AngelPuppy1 

Kitchen dancing gives mega points on the happiness meter!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

Kitchen dancing gives mega points on the happiness meter!Smiley Happy

Exactly - plus we all know that the best exercise is the one you'll do.

Respected Contributor

Since I was a little girl, I've always loved dancing, from tap to

ballet and jazz. In the 70's and 80's I loved dancing in the clubs.

I also taught aerobics  years ago.

In the 80's I fell in love with Middle Eastern dancing and took classes and many workshops. I danced in many performances

through the 90's and taught some classes.

After developing arthritis in knees and feet and with fibromyalgia, performing went by the wayside.

But, recently I have listened to some of my old music and it

makes me want to move. I can, but with limitations.

There are videos online for Middle Eastern dance ( belly dance). It is a great workout because you use your arms and hands, shoulders,hips (Hips Don't Lie). You are moving your legs, doing footwork and using your abs. You can start slowly.

The music and drumming just makes you want to move.