Honored Contributor

Daily protein intake for women

[ Edited ]

(from animal and/or plant sources)

PopSugar.com Fitness 9/20/17

There's no absolute answer for how many grams of protein a woman should get each day — it depends on your weight, your activity level, and whether or not you're pregnant.

But with a little elementary-school math, there's an easy way to calculate the number of protein grams that's right for you.

Take your weight in pounds and divide it by 2.2 to figure out your weight in kilograms.

Then multiply that number by 0.8 (not very active), 1.3 (active or pregnant), or 1.8 (extremely active), depending on how much exercise you get.

As a general guideline, the CDC's average requirement of protein for women ages 19 to 70 is 46 grams per day. But, as you can see from this chart, you'll need to increase that if you're expecting or training for a marathon.

Check out the chart below to see how much protein you should be eating each day. If you don't see your weight, just use the formula above to calculate your daily protein.

Image result for protein recommended daily chart

Honored Contributor

Re: Tip re: daily protein intake for women

How many ounces in a gram? 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

How many ounces in a gram? 

0.035274@I am still oxox.

Honored Contributor

thank you 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I have seen a lot of protein tables in my life and this is just a bit extreme

50 Grams = 1.7636981 Ounce

1.7 ounces of protein is less than a small can of tuna 

This can not be healthy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

2 oz of tuna has about 10 grams of protein.

4 oz chicken has about 30 grams of protein. 

Honored Contributor

With all of the diets I have been on for many years, I learned that we need at least 2 oz of protein at each meal minimum.  Two oz for breakfast and three or four at lunch and dinner.. four oz if fish or fowl or three oz for red meats.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My doctor told me to aim for 90grams of protien per day...I am active but not highly active...do cardio and lift weights several times per week at home.  I weigh 128lbs...that chart seems off.  A close friend of mine has ploycystic kidney disease and is told to keep her protien around 42grams per day...on the low side.  

Honored Contributor

"...women ages 19 to 70"...that's a huge gap. I don't think protein requirements are the same for this entire group. Older folks need more protein than younger ones. I don't agree with this chart.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite  I take all the charts as suggestions -  and certainly as suggestions for people who are generally speaking in good health.  Anyone with a disease has to follow a different protocol, I'd think.