Respected Contributor

Re: DOES ANYONE HERE SELF-INJECT ??

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

i've had a few injections in my thigh at the doctor's office, but just haven't been the one holding the syringe.  

I'm sure you're right about the anticipation .....  just trying to be "prepared".    LOL

When I was a nurse for rheumatologists, our physicians had me teach the patient by having the patient prepare and inject themselves under my direction for at least two visits.  This was to be sure the patient clearly understood the proper method.  I would ask your physician's nurse to oversee you actually preparing and administering the injection.  Once you feel confident, it will go well.  

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Karlakaye wrote:

I've been using enbrel for RA for many years.  I use the epi-pen and pull the skin tightly to make a hard flat area on my stomach----I rotate from side to side, just below the belly button, every 10 days.  When I took it more frequently I would rotate thighs, arms (the most discomfort for me personally) and stomach (the best for me!).   It's second nature now---just a little redness at site sometimes.  It has made a BIG difference in my life.  GOOD LUCK!!

How long before you thought the Enbrel had "kicked in" and you could feel any difference?   That's what I'll be taking.

I have been taking Enbrel since it first came on the market in the late 90's.  As I recall, I felt better very very quickly---like within a couple weeks!!! Hopefully it will be the same for you!

Frequent Contributor

I have experience self injecting several different meds, both in a pen (epi and non) and in syringes.  The one bit of advice I'd offer is to let the alcohol from the swab dry completely before you inject; I find it stings less when I do this.

Valued Contributor

I do Humera, I have found doing it in the abdomen is very easy ,zero pain,I count to ten slowly and you see the yellow line you are done. I do the same in my thigh, but doing it there is like a nasty bee sting, but needing to change sites and also have DM. My Chrons has really turned around using this, I use to do Remicade, but it started not to work. Best of luck to you.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes do it in the abdomen. Try not to freak out it doesn't really hurt. Make sure the alcohol dries before you inject it.
Esteemed Contributor

They may even send a nurse free of charge to your house to go over the first injection. Make sure you have a humira card or enbrel card so you only pay five dollars for each refill.
Honored Contributor

Well, I did it  .......... and managed to not kill myself in the process !!   LOL

Honored Contributor

Congratulations!  You're now a pro Smiley Happy

@Tinkrbl44

Valued Contributor

Tinkr, way to go! I knew you could do it! Smiley Happy