Honored Contributor

DO YOU TAKE GINSENG IN ANY FORM?

I bought a couple Lessman supplments that have ginseng in the ingredients.  It's been a long time since I've taken it, and have forgotten ....  can you take it later in the day ... or is it a stimulant, like caffeine, that could interfere with falling asleep?    

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO YOU TAKE GINSENG IN ANY FORM?

No.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

It will keep you up at night. Don't take any near bedtime. Consume it as you would caffeinated coffee or tea. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

No.

hckynut 

@hckynutjohn 

Huh.     If I had to guess, I would have thought you might take it for stamina.  Do you take other vitamins or supplements?      

Honored Contributor

No, I don't take any vitamins or supplements. Unless you have been tested and told you are lacking in a certain vitamin, you are wasting your money.

Yesterday, I read an article in a medical journal that said people who take vitamins and supplements do not live as long as those who don't.  More research is being done to find out why.  I found that interesting.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

No, I don't take any vitamins or supplements. Unless you have been tested and told you are lacking in a certain vitamin, you are wasting your money.

Yesterday, I read an article in a medical journal that said people who take vitamins and supplements do not live as long as those who don't.  More research is being done to find out why.  I found that interesting.

@Carmie  Same with me. My Doctor will let me know from bloodwork results. Very rare that I am low in any vitamin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ginseng is not a vitamin. There are only 13 recognized vitamins and ginseng is not one of them. Ginseng is a plant root used as a supp and is steroid-like in it's pharmacological actions.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   I am aware of what Ginseng is.  This supplement is not recommended for anyone to take without consulting their doctor.  It can be dangerous for some people and should not be taken if you are pregnant....causes harm to the unborn.

It is not FDA approved.  Take at your own risk.  It is  not something I take or need.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No vitamin or supp has ever been FDA 'approved'. They are only regulated, like food is, by that agency.

Honored Contributor

Some ginseng is for stimulation where others are for focus and such.   For example, American ginseng is considered to be more relaxing and sedative, the Korean ginseng is considered to be invigorating and stimulating. It is best to learn a bit about the different ginsengs to know which one is best for you and what time of day to take it.