Honored Contributor

DO YOU TAKE ANY ANTIOXIDANT SUPPLEMENTS?

I thought I would see what Andrew has for supplements and was surprised ... both by how many, and secondly, how many of them had only one or two ingredients.

I used to take a scoop of a greens supplement in my protein shakes, but am tired of shakes.  

So .........   

What antioxidant supplement(s) do you take?

Did you ever notice how you felt when taking them?  

I bet others might want to know, too.

Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU TAKE ANY ANTIOXIDANT SUPPLEMENTS?

[ Edited ]

My main antioxidant supp is vitamin C. Also vit D, vit B12, ubiquinol, turmeric (extract), berberine and shiitake extract.  I also take matcha everyday, about 10g of pure matcha powder mixed into my greens drink. All of those listed are antioxidants.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

Vitamin D-3 and a monthly B-12 shot

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

No hard proof that they actually work.....but I take probiotics every day.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

B12 and D3 only.

Respected Contributor

Not really. My primary care physician recommends Vitamin D which he adjusts up or down based on my yearly blood work. My ophthalmologist encourages taking Centrum Silver to stave off macular degeneration. 

Regular Contributor

Vitamin D3

PROBIOCTIC

I will be taking a vitamin with iron as soon as my doctor gives approval

Respected Contributor

For those who take supplements how do you determine what to take?  Did your doctor recommend them or did you just decided on your own?  As I get older I think maybe I should be taking something but I feel as though I eat reasonably well and get plenty of protein, calcium, vitamin C, etc from my food.

Respected Contributor

I am on a statin drug.  I take COQ10 (an antioxidant) as a precaution, which is okay with my doctor.  The atorvastatin never caused me any issues, but I feel more comfortable taking it along with COQ10.  My doctor checks my D3 levels and has told me to stay between 2000 and 3000IU per day.  He recommends a general vitamin and calcium supplement, too.

On my own and after much research, I have added a joint supplement, and it has been amazing--glucosamine sulfate.  I also take two probiotics to ward off any yeast infections I might get, since I have been prone to them in the past.  Since starting them, I have not had one infection--knock on wood.  Per my optometrist, I also take fish oil--DHA 500mg.

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

For those who take supplements how do you determine what to take?  Did your doctor recommend them or did you just decided on your own?  As I get older I think maybe I should be taking something but I feel as though I eat reasonably well and get plenty of protein, calcium, vitamin C, etc from my food.

@Winkk 

I take the ones my doctor recommends. Plus I know my blood test numbers and I know which supplements can affect them so I take supps which will help maintain healthy numbers. I've done that for years.