Honored Contributor

Re: DISPOSING OF MEDICATIONS IN THE "CONTROLLED" CATEGORY

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@pdlinda 

Vials in my medical jargon means liquid meds. Were you injecting this Oxy?  If they are pills, pretty easy to make them into bits of dust using many methods. Then throw a little into the wind here/there every few days for a couple weeks/months, that should do it.

Or dig a hole in your yard, dump the powder in, and next spring plant something there, and if it grows? Not to worry anymore. And if your home uses a septic tank? Lid off/drop in powder or pills or liquid, that should do it.

If it is liquids? A dash here a dash there mixed in 5 gallons of water. I doubt it is going to contaminate the water or the earth, but that's just me. 

I appreciate trying to keep the environment safe and clean, but?  ↩↪⤴️⤵️

hckynut 

I hope no one follows this advice.

There are safee ways to dispose of drugs other than throwing a little bit here and there into the wind or burying it in the back yard.

SMH

Honored Contributor

Bad takes to bury them or toss in the trash.

After a recent surgery I had leftover meds, I took themback to Walgreens and was told that while they do not dispose of them at that Walgreens, I was given about 5 packets of something to dispose of them myself safely.  You open the packet, pour the powder in the rx bottle, add water, and shake it - it formed a sort of cement.  At that point (and only that point) could it be safely tossed.

Esteemed Contributor

We take ours back to Walgreens - they have a place where you can deposit meds right by the pick=up window