Trusted Contributor

DISPOSING OF MEDICATIONS IN THE "CONTROLLED" CATEGORY

I had 2 joints replaced (2017 and 2019) and received several prescriptions for Oxys and other meds that I used briefly.  I have about 10 vials in all.

HSN had some great organizing canister sets that I recently bought that led to me dumping ALL my toiletries and other cosmetics and keeping just what I needed. 

Among the items were all the vials of these meds that I've had for years because no agency (police and/or fire depts, or pharmacy) wants to dispose of them for me. 

They all report having disposal days for this purpose in the past but, for some reason, since COVID, they tell me they have discontinued this service.

Any ideas how I can safely dispose of these meds as I do not want to contaminate the water supply (flushing them down toilet) or the landfills (by dumping in the trash).

Honored Contributor

Re: DISPOSING OF MEDICATIONS IN THE "CONTROLLED" CATEGORY

@pdlinda State Health Dept?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You need to find a participating drug disposal site in your area. Many are located at drugstores, for example Walgreens or CVS. 

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/disposal-unused-medicines-what-you-should-know/drug-

disposal-drug-take-back-locations

This link will show you where to go. Just type in your location and it will show you where you can go to drop off controlled substances:

https://apps2.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubdispsearch/spring/main?execution=e2s1

Trusted Contributor

@pdlinda I'm not sure where you live but here in Washington State we have a Safe Medication Return Program.  On the State Health Dept site is an option to request a free prepaid envelope which they will send to you so you can put your prescriptions in it & return to them for disposal.  I've used this this past year, I did remove my identifying information first & I thought it worked well.  Hopefully your state has something similar.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda Check with local pharmacies and drug stores. Here in WA state our local Walgreen's has had a disposal bin for a couple of years as does my family's pharmacy at our local Safeway.

Esteemed Contributor

@pdlinda 

Vials in my medical jargon means liquid meds. Were you injecting this Oxy?  If they are pills, pretty easy to make them into bits of dust using many methods. Then throw a little into the wind here/there every few days for a couple weeks/months, that should do it.

Or dig a hole in your yard, dump the powder in, and next spring plant something there, and if it grows? Not to worry anymore. And if your home uses a septic tank? Lid off/drop in powder or pills or liquid, that should do it.

If it is liquids? A dash here a dash there mixed in 5 gallons of water. I doubt it is going to contaminate the water or the earth, but that's just me. 

I appreciate trying to keep the environment safe and clean, but?  ↩↪⤴️⤵️

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

i throw them in the trash....if someone wants them that badly....they are welcomed to go through my garbage.......

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Thanks so much!  My problem is solved.  I clicked on the link and there is a Walgreen's 6 miles from my house that will take the meds.

When I go to my regular Walgreen's 5 mins from my house I'll let them know this info as when I inquired there last week they said they couldn't help me!!

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda 

You're welcome. Glad you found a place to go.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

Thanks so much for these ideas.  I hope I never have to use them (hope I have no further major surgeries) but I will pass these ideas to others who might need them.