Super Contributor

Re: DH has ITB (Iliotibal Band) Issue - - - Good for a gigle

So darn cute, thanks for the smiles.

My husband and I was having a conversation, and I asked him did your mom ever kiss your boo bo and would say all better now, and our mothers would kiss our ouchies and made them all better!

Love positive stories like this!

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn, best wishes to you and your wife.  I always enjoy your posts and wish you both well.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

That is so cute. Don't bandaids cure everything, though? I can hardly wait to have a grandchild. It will be soon. I am having a day out with my daughter tomorrow because it may be her last weekend without a child. I will most likely be called Oma or Omi. I have not decided, yet.

Tell your husband to get the shot. Chances are he will feel much better. At worst, it will not do much for him, but it won't hurt him. A friend of mine who is a runner, has had the same trouble and has to do stretches she learned in PT. I wish him well.

Trusted Contributor

coincidentally, I just switched over to fb and one of my running friends had posted this:

http://running.competitor.com/2015/03/injury-prevention/10-exercises-to-treat-it-band-syndrome_12508...

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Hi sfnative,

Since I cannot relate to children or grandchildren? I can however relate to my many issues with ITBS(tensor fasciae latae).

Mine first surfaced as a "maybe knee issue/maybe hip issue/maybe back issue". Back "in the day" before Sports Medicine Doctors there was little to nothing known about ITBS. What was finally known was "what it was", but what to do about it?

Since this primarily bothered me when running(not skating) I began my own stretching exercises to see if I could, if nothing else, reduce the pain of this thing. Finally found a couple that worked well for me.

I was seeing a friend of mine(who has since died)that was a Chiropractor, as he was able to keep my 3 crushed Cervical Vertabrae positioned when needed to reduce, sometimes completely eliminate my neck pain.

He had a lot of patients at the time he was working on for knee type of issues. I asked him if he was seeing any with ITBS(tensor fasciae latae) and he said yes. He told me he was not having good results using EMS treatments, so I told him about the exercises that helped me.

So he decided to have his patients try these after I showed him how exactly I did them to find relief. From that point on he would call me every time he had a patient with ITBS and have me refresh him as to these exercises.

He was very much into sports and that is why I sought him out many years before he died. He kept my neck issues to a minimum with a pretty simple adjustment. I once met him at an ice rink where he has taken his kids to public skatin. I was having some neck issues at the time. Took me over to a bench and "crack" and it wasn't long before my problems were gone.

Anyways, just wanted to let you, and your husband to know I know enough about ITBS to know how it feels. I had a running friend that thought I was making up the name of "illotibial band syndrome", so he chose to call it "itty bitty band syndrome". I told him if he had this it wouldn't see so "itty bitty".

As fate would have it, it struck him and he came to me about it. After I got done "picking on him for being a baby with the itty bitty", I showed him what worked for me. He never again referred to ITBS with those itty bitty words.  :-)

On another recent note! I had to take my wife to the ER in the middle of last night. She was having the same terrible pain she had several times before when she needed emergency surgeries for twisted and blocked intestines.

She had emergency surgery(open incision)last October and then 5 weeks later the same thing, but her doctor was able to fix this via scope, but she was still healing from the open surgery.

They did a contrasting CAT Scan and found the intestine was not twisted or completely blocked, so her Bariatric Surgeon wants to see if it will heal without surgery.

She will be seeing him Monday or Tuesday for another CAT Scan and see what happens from there. She is now "dog sitting" so not at home until Monday. I told her to call me if she gets in trouble, or just head to the ER if she is able to drive.

Wish your husband well for me and I hope you are doing well.  Best to both of you, and those grandkids of course,

Hi John,

It is just past midnight here and I really need to get to bed, but wanted to thank you for responding and sharing so much with me.

I'm so very sorry Cindy is once again ill and in the hospital.  I hope and pray that she will indeed come out of this without requiring surgery.

Will come back on Saturday for a further entry.  Take care my friend.

~Rebecca

Honored Contributor

sfn, I was almost CRIPPLED by ITBS three years ago, and only ONE session with a good massage therapist got me moving again. The massage didn't hurt at all, and I was able to begin some stretching exercises, by myself, at my own comfort level, the same day I had the message.

Now, three years later, as soon as I get "the twinge" I do my stretches and can get right back to "pain free". 

You DH is really making a TERRIBLE mistake by doing this to himself. I KNOW the pain he is experiencing is terrible, but there really is NO EXCUSE for not helping himself. The stretches are a totally easy and controlable fix, but you have to learn how to do them before you can use them.

Can't WAIT to be a grammy myself, BTW! Congrats on yours!

Honored Contributor

@violann  are you going to be a grandparent soon!  It is "all that and a bag of chips!"

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Just hopes so far lovestoteach.......

Esteemed Contributor

@debcakes wrote:

That is so cute. Don't bandaids cure everything, though? I can hardly wait to have a grandchild. It will be soon. I am having a day out with my daughter tomorrow because it may be her last weekend without a child. I will most likely be called Oma or Omi. I have not decided, yet.

Tell your husband to get the shot. Chances are he will feel much better. At worst, it will not do much for him, but it won't hurt him. A friend of mine who is a runner, has had the same trouble and has to do stretches she learned in PT. I wish him well.

Hi debcakes,

Congratulations on your new grandchild!  I pray your daughter's labor is swift and without issues.

Our 22 month old granddaugter has gotten to the point where she calls us "OmaOpa" - all one word, when referring to both of us.  It's so cute.  And the sentences rolling off her tongue are amazing.  You will be amazed at the strides your little one makes.  It's a wonderful journey to be a part of.

Re the injection:  Yes, he really needs that steroid right into the bursa to take care of the inflammation.  He simply won't listen to me, as he has a phobia for needles.  That's why I wrote an email to our internist, as she always expects compliance and knows something isn't right on his end.  I hope that once we have signed the closing documents regarding a large condo we've just purchard, he'll get in gear and at least get going with PT, because I know that his therapist will insist he get that injection.

Have a great weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

sfn, I was almost CRIPPLED by ITBS three years ago, and only ONE session with a good massage therapist got me moving again. The massage didn't hurt at all, and I was able to begin some stretching exercises, by myself, at my own comfort level, the same day I had the message.

Now, three years later, as soon as I get "the twinge" I do my stretches and can get right back to "pain free". 

You DH is really making a TERRIBLE mistake by doing this to himself. I KNOW the pain he is experiencing is terrible, but there really is NO EXCUSE for not helping himself. The stretches are a totally easy and controlable fix, but you have to learn how to do them before you can use them.

Can't WAIT to be a grammy myself, BTW! Congrats on yours!

I hear what you're saying and totally agree with you. My husband has a phobia for needels, hence lack of injection into the bursa near the hip.  Additionally, we're waiting to close on a large condo, which has been postponed so many times it's driving him up the wall. There's nothing anyone can do about it.  It is what it is.  But, he's worked himself into a frenzy about this, so won't go to PT until all is signed.  Also, he's never had PT before, so has assumed it's going to make everything worse.  I've tried to open up a dialog with him on several occasions, as I was the administrator for a large physical therapy clinic in the 80s, so have lots of experience, but he disengages each time.  Won't have any of it, so I've given up.  This non-compliance is what led me to write an email to our internist.   Am keeping my fingers crossed.