Honored Contributor

Re: DH doctor appointment and diet suggested- need more info

@Trinity11 : Nope- can’t clean out without a war.  I have not been grocery shopping in two weeks- I know what I ate wasn’t healthy but I was hungry and can’t wait until after grocery shopping on Friday to eat.Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I just have to shake my head that any poster on this board would think they are qualified to give you diet advice that contradicts what a treating physician has said.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Keto, or any other eating plan, the OP's husband is being treated by a physician. We aren't privvy to the ins and outs of the medical care provided, what is going on or the reasoning the doctor suggested what he did.  

There is a lot of free information about Keto on-line and there are apps as well.  Check Pinterest for menu/food ideas. 

@Lipstickdiva @SouthernBee   Yes!  I agree!  Follow your doctor's advice.  If you are confused, go talk with Dr. or a nurse in office.  TRY what he says and see how you can make it work for you two!  

If it doesn't work, get a second opinion from another doctor.  If you can't follow it maybe get a second opinion.  There are many paths to finding what works for you.  Check them out, and go forward excited about an opportunity to make some changes.  Even if hubby isn't sometimes you see someone happy and doing things, and maybe he'll want to join in the fun!  Ask him for his help for YOU too!  You might be surprised. HE might be surprised!  LOL!!

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D : Please read message number 50. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@phoenixbrd : Thank you.  Your recipes sound delicious and making me hungry. I just finished some yogurt with granola and still hungry. I have a bad headache. I need to do some boiled eggs. I struggle with emotional eating and trying to get away from it. Southern Bee 

You can cook your eggs in the Instant Pot, too!  I just did 10 the other day in my 3 qt......a cup of water, the eggs in one of those little collapsible metal colanders.  Bring up to pressure, cook 5 minutes.  Let sit 5 minutes and release pressure.  Put the eggs in an ice water bath for 5 minutes.  They were cooked perfectly and peeled easily!  Good for a quick breakfast or snack!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   Yup.....that's what I make only I add a cup of red lentils  and sometimes some fresh chopped jalapenos.....soooo good when you are desiring a hearty meal especially on a rainy day!  

As you know, this is so simple.    I'm not even going near the Keto controversy...you know what I'm thinking.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Trinity11 : Nope- can’t clean out without a war.  I have not been grocery shopping in two weeks- I know what I ate wasn’t healthy but I was hungry and can’t wait until after grocery shopping on Friday to eat.Southern Bee 

If the food is in the house, then he will be unsuccessful. It is the equivilant of an alcoholic living in a home with access to scotch and gin. Sugar can be just as addictive as alcohol and drugs dependent upon someone's body chemistry. Some debate that but I have seen up close and personal many people with an addiction to sugar (carbohydrates.)

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@sidsmom   Yup.....that's what I make only I add a cup of red lentils  and sometimes some fresh chopped jalapenos.....soooo good when you are desiring a hearty meal especially on a rainy day!  

As you know, this is so simple.    I'm not even going near the Keto controversy...you know what I'm thinking.

@phoenixbrd 

Keto...it’s the ‘Snackwell Era’ of the Fat World. 

10yrs from now, everyone will be OMG-What-Were-We-Thinking???

Hopefully, after eating all that saturated fat, they’ll still be around

to ponder their mistakes, youknowwhati’msayin’?

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

If the food is in the house, then he will be unsuccessful. It is the equivilant of an alcoholic living in a home with access to scotch and gin. Sugar can be just as addictive as alcohol and drugs dependent upon someone's body chemistry. Some debate that but I have seen up close and personal many people with an addiction to sugar (carbohydrates.)

Not necessarily.  I can be around carbs, sugar, pasta and not feel the need to eat it.  I used to cook carbs for my partner before he started eating keto and I was fine with that.  I broke my carb addiction and so I do not worry about what others are eating or the chocolates in my cupboard (which no one is even eating).  Everyone is different so it's not a good idea to start off saying you will fail if around the things you shouldn't be eating. Some people are certainly weaker than others, that's for sure.  But eveyrone should start out thinking they have the potential to be strong about it.  Will power is really everything.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11   So true.  I don't keep junk food in the house. The good news is after years of eating just whole foods (fruit, veggies, legumes, whole grain, nuts, seeds)....none of those addictive items even interest me.  That will happen over time.

@Trinity11 wrote:

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   Yup....this unhealthy trend = cardiovascular disease long term.  I'm grateful that we have MDs that do know the truth.