Honored Contributor

Re: DH doctor appointment and diet suggested- need more info

@Trinity11 wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Trinity11 : Now you understand why I was awake most of the night reading and very confused 🤷‍♀️. Southern Bee 

I can understand why @SouthernBee . Did you read my post up thread about a ketogenic diet? If his physician told him to eat "keto" friendly foods, then he can be sure he is in ketosis by purchasing Keto Strips.

Is your husband's physician a board certified physician or is he an alternative medicine practitioner?

@Trinity11 My husband goes to an integrative doctor who you could say is an alternate MD but he's still a board certified physician.  

Honored Contributor

If you could post the list maybe we could help more. Many of us cook and can make anything taste good. Why does he need this special diet?

@SouthernBee wrote:

DH  was told by doctor that something needed to be done and knew DH needs fast results to be  encouraged for much needed changes. Doctor suggested Keto diet. Given food shopping list and told to research diet. DH given a B12 shot and will be seen on a weekly basis for a month to check results. Have done research and very confused. I need menu plans. Only meat on list was beyond meat and chicken . Many vegetables listed DH will not eat. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Please no unkind remarks. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Trinity11 : Now you understand why I was awake most of the night reading and very confused 🤷‍♀️. Southern Bee 

I can understand why @SouthernBee . Did you read my post up thread about a ketogenic diet? If his physician told him to eat "keto" friendly foods, then he can be sure he is in ketosis by purchasing Keto Strips.

Is your husband's physician a board certified physician or is he an alternative medicine practitioner?

@Trinity11 My husband goes to an integrative doctor who you could say is an alternate MD but he's still a board certified physician.  

No, I was thinking of some kind of physician who calls himself a doctor but is a naturopathic physician. Medicare refuses to pay for them...

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@Trinity11@SouthernBee  I forgot to say potatoes/starches are not on the list and cheese too which I believe vegetarians eat.

It kinda looks like a hybird....keto only in the sense you can have real butter and some olive oil....but zero real meat of any kind...plus leafy greens which are in keto and paleo diets.

Then it all seems more vegan in some ways and vegetarian together....bit's and pieces.

Since eggs are allowed you get still some protein BUT I know I can't eat many eggs...just not a big taste for them.  I am thinking that your husband better like that beyond meat stuff alot....cause zero meat on this diet is gonna be a BIG change for him.  

I have no idea why a physician would tell a patient to do a ketogenic diet and give him a diet plan in print that has little to nothing to do with a true ketogenic diet. The fake meats are unhealthy and are loaded with sodium. Something is missing in the equation...

Yes I noticed that too....very confusing makes no sense.  And then she called them and they told her to just google for keto recipes!  

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 : Reading all post. Still problems with iPad. Doctor is board certified and very respected. DH has agreed to more roasted vegetables and raw vegetables like celery to snack on with a little ranch dressing. I have to do something to get him away from candy and chips.DH asked if we could have some baked chicken and fish- I stressed no more than 5 ounce portions. I have to start something and making a grocery list for tomorrow. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

If you could post the list maybe we could help more. Many of us cook and can make anything taste good. Why does he need this special diet?

@SouthernBee wrote:

DH  was told by doctor that something needed to be done and knew DH needs fast results to be  encouraged for much needed changes. Doctor suggested Keto diet. Given food shopping list and told to research diet. DH given a B12 shot and will be seen on a weekly basis for a month to check results. Have done research and very confused. I need menu plans. Only meat on list was beyond meat and chicken . Many vegetables listed DH will not eat. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Please no unkind remarks. Southern Bee 

She aldready did....look back a few pages.

Respected Contributor

If someone needs to do a keto diet you do not need a doctor or a dietician.  You can reserch it online and figure it out yourself.  It's extremely uncomplicated so long as the person is willing to actually follow the rules to a T.  A lot of people say they're doing keto but then they eat stuff covered in bread crumbs, etc.  The Atkins website is very helpful in laying it out for you.  They have sample menus and you will quickly get the gist of how this diet works.  Like I said, very simple and uncomplicated so long as you follow the rules,and adatpt them to your appetite and tastes.  I have found most people I know have a very hard time with it especially in the beginning. But if you stick with it, you'll adapt pretty quickly.

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Trinity11 : Reading all post. Still problems with iPad. Doctor is board certified and very respected. DH has agreed to more roasted vegetables and raw vegetables like celery to snack on with a little ranch dressing. I have to do something to get him away from candy and chips.DH asked if we could have some baked chicken and fish- I stressed no more than 5 ounce portions. I have to start something and making a grocery list for tomorrow. Southern Bee 

So you can eat real meat on this diet?  Your list only has the Beyond Meat stuff listed which I agree with trinity that's got all kinds of bad for you chemicals and junk in it.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

The only way your husband will be successful @SouthernBee is to clear out the entire house of foods that he seems to be addicted to. If he is snacking on junk food, it cannot be in the house. At least it will make it more difficult for him to eat junk if he has to actually leave the house to purchase it.

I read that you ate granola this morning in yogurt and you were still hungry. Granola is usually much too high in sugars and carbohydrates to help with weight loss. It is also caloric. If I ate granola, I would be munching all day. Also make sure that the yogurt does not have any added sugar. Some yogurts have as much sugar as ice cream.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite : No real meat just trying to get DH started on something because he already said - not interested in fake food. I don’t want him to refuse to do anything. Southern Bee