Honored Contributor

DH doctor appointment and diet suggested- need more info

DH  was told by doctor that something needed to be done and knew DH needs fast results to be  encouraged for much needed changes. Doctor suggested Keto diet. Given food shopping list and told to research diet. DH given a B12 shot and will be seen on a weekly basis for a month to check results. Have done research and very confused. I need menu plans. Only meat on list was beyond meat and chicken . Many vegetables listed DH will not eat. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Please no unkind remarks. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

Re: DH doctor appointment and diet suggested- need more info

[ Edited ]

I don’t know much about the Keto diet but is there any possibility your husband’s doctor would send him (and you) to a dietitian who could give you better guidance?

Honored Contributor

You can go to Amazon and buy a Keto Diet book; there are thousands of them.  Type in Keto diet for beginners.  You can also ask his doctor to refer your husband to a dietician at the nearest hospital.  He's an absolutely awful doctor!!!!  

Honored Contributor

Keto is not healthy, and I am amazed a Dr it.

Keto is the latest low carb craze and is a short fix and most people gain back their weight

I would suggest a plan like Weight Watchers, where you can eat everything in limits but is is a lifestyle not a diet

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Perhaps they want him to drop weight fast as he can.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee,

In my area of southern WV, this would be a situation where I would reach out to a registered dietician through my local hospital.   

I had sit down meetings with a dietician before both knee surgeries, due to my food allergies and intolerances.   I specifically needed special accommodations for breakfast meals, due to not eating eggs and anything with milk in the a.m.   Notations were made, and I received whatever food I requested while a patient.     

A dietician can help you plan meals around  your husbands likes and the Keto diet guidelines to achieve the health results needed.   Best wishes with this challenge!

Honored Contributor

Does he like lamb chops?

Honored Contributor

Nothing but sympathy here, but I will tell you that I would NEVER have thought I could EVER lose an OUNCE, UNTIL- I realized that as the oldest of all of my two son’s parents/in-laws, I HAD to make myself as healthy as I POSSIBLY COULD to be THE BEST GRANDMOTHER I COULD BE, and to stick around as long as I could as well, and that’s how I found the kind of determination I NEVER KNEW I’D HAD.

I lost 85 pounds in less than a year, then things started happening in my life and I stopped losing, BUT NEVER REGAINED.

Now, 5 1/2 years later, I have been diagnosed with a manageable but potentially troublesome health challenge, and once again, I am RIVETED AND RESOLVED to feel better and be there for my fabulous grandchildren.

If DH is in “will NOT” mode, will he begin to think about what he WILL DO? I started by developing a plan for feeding myself based on as many healthy sensible foods and facts as I could think of. I KNEW that green leafy veggies, blueberries, egg whites and a few whole eggs a week, olive oil, raw unsalted nuts, sometimes some chicken and fish, might not thrill me, but as long as I filled up on them, the “thrill” would come from stepping on the scale.

I personally don’t care about variety, so having approximately the same meal or couple meals everyday was fine. I knew salty foods caused me to “crave eat”, so I stopped eating salt. 

Keto can can be pretty easy once you master it. Do some reading. Getting an expert involved can be helpful, but some well trained dieticians don’t agree with it, so you’ll need to look for someone who agrees with DH’s doctor if you choose to go that route.

You have a tough job right now @SouthernBee , because unless you have a weight/health issue, it will be hard for you to embrace how hard this will be for him.

If what I have listed makes sense to you, please ask questions. I am ALWAYS GLAD to help someone who is as troubled as I was, until I made my thinking work for me. 

BEST WISHES AND HIGH HOPES TO YOU BOTH!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Did the doctor give you a suggestion for cookbook Keto?  There are many out there....if you just google the type of meal you want to make and include the word Keto a ton of recipes will pop up for free!  I do this all the time.  Say you want to make chicken....just put in chicken keto dinner and ideas with the how to come up.  Diet Doctor is a good resource for ideas on menus.

Virta Health is another wonderful site they have all kinds of info there.

Perhaps you could call your doctors office and ask for a reference from the doctor.