Honored Contributor

Re: DH doctor appointment and diet suggested- need more info

@dex : Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@cherry : Thank you for your kind words of support and understanding. I knew the risk of starting this thread but also considered many kind and helpful people would provide needed suggestions and resources. Staying positive and determined. Small steps toward to better health is change instead of doing nothing. Southern Bee 

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee 

Hi Southern Bee,

I know I'm coming in late and that you've pages and pages of input and advice; however, I feel the need to add my two bits, which will repeat some of what you've already read.

A keto food plan produces ketones in the body (it's a physiological process) and these are really tough on the kidneys.  The keto plan was first lauded by Dr. Atkins way back in the late 60s and early 70s.

Even though a decision regarding a new food plan has probably already been made, I'd recommend the diet plan that QVC sells occasionally and which you can purchase on the internet.  Frankly, I'm going blank with regard to the name of the plan!  I'm on pain meds today for a bad migraine and clearly my brain is fuzzy.  However, I went on this same plan and lost 50 lbs.  It's even better now because they have meals created for men (because men need more due to muscle mass), you can choose your meals and snacks and so much more.

Arrrgh!  I'm so ticked I cannot recall the name of this for you.  I'll receive lots of negative feedback here telling me it's horrible, awful, don't go there. But, let me tell you this:  Unless your husband is a gourmet food critic, he'll do just fine on this plan.  There are choices.  And the best thing is that everything is pre-portioned: there's no weighing, no thinking about this or that.

Good luck to your husband.  God Bless!

Honored Contributor

@sfnative : Thank you for posting suggestions while in so much pain. Praying you feeling much better. Congratulations on your successful weight loss. Were you talking about Nutrisystem(sp)or something else? I tried this and it was very expensive for me considering I still had to purchase vegetables and salad ingredients, plus didn’t like the food and the fact it was processed food. It wasn’t for me but totally understand that you and others used it successfully. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

Hi @SouthernBee ! I think of you and DH EVERY MORNING when I read new posts.

Hoping that you and DH are working toward healthy feel-good choices and beginning to reap the benefits.

It sounds as though you and DH are working HARD to find your way to success with this painful and COMPLEX problem that you are facing. 

Every GOOD EATING CHOICE you make offers you a building block to improving your lifestyle and strengthening your resolve.

All of us who live with morbid and super morbid obesity struggle at times with eating challenges, but if DH perseveres, he’ll soon be seeing how gratifying successful eating management can be.

CARRY ON!!

Honored Contributor

@violann : Thank you for your support and kind words. Cheering for you and a successful journey. Next week will be interesting. Family are suppose to come for a visit Thursday evening thru Sunday. Can’t tell DH because suppose to be a surprise. Includes two adults and two grandkids. DH gone fishing today and I am trying to get everything ready. Can’t grocery shop or do any baking because DH will be asking questions. Very frustrating and stressful. We have not had spend the night company or family in 15 years. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH’s cardio suggested a modified keto for him after the strict keto proved to do more harm than good, yes, he lost weight, but he was weak and developed kidney issues.
Dr said to focus on low-fat instead of keto...too much fat is not healthy for anyone and striving to sustain pure clinical ketosis is all-consuming. We called dr and he wrote up a simple plan that is very simple and we can live with it; it stresses less fat and carbs instead of high fat and zero carbs. He also recommended premier protein drinks instead of a meal when he is tired of veggies.

Honored Contributor

End of 4 weeks results: DH  13  pounds, Me  8, but total since first of year 14. Doctor suggested focus on low fat, low carbs, less red meat but more chicken and  fish, more vegetables. Continue to reduce sugar and sweets only on special occasions with limited portions. I am excited and will continue. Finally noticed clothes not as tight. Thanks for all the support and encouragement and great suggestions. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee   Wonderful news for you and your husband.  Continued cheers for you and your husband as you go forward together with this.