Honored Contributor

Re: DH doctor appointment and diet suggested- need more info

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee YUM - collards sautéd w lots of garlic in a little olive oil. BRING IT!

Respected Contributor

Southern Bee...so your doc suggested a HIGH-AS-THE-SKY FAT DIET huh??? 

I'd never put my LIVER or HEART at risk with a super high fat diet suck as KETO.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@SouthernBee I AM SO OVERJOYED FOR YOU BOTH THAT I HAVE TEARS IN MY EYES. 

I’m heading to the doctor today to plan a way of managing a health issue which I KNOW will include losing weight.

It is IMPORTANT to my life, and I am pulling out the tools I used to lose my first 85, and PUTTING THEM BACK TO WORK!

DH is on the way! Now he needs to think of his “lost pound” collection when a craving or temptation hits. I wanted to tell him something- when I struggled in the past, I would tell myself that I didn’t HAVE to lose so much weight.

INSTEAD, I’d say to myself “All you have to do FOR TODAY is focus on losing JUST ONE POUND”. Somehow, when I needed to refocus, that would help me. And quickly, those single pounds added up and up and up!

I’m sure your DH will start developing his own little tricks and gimmicks.

Give that man a BIG CYBER HUG FROM ME, another traveler along the road to BETTER HEALTH!!!

@violann..you have always been an inspiration for me on this forum in your weight loss journey. After my second heart attack, I packed on weight from inactivity, excessive eating from stress and medications. I started a new life plan to lose anything I have gained and your thoughts about taking it one day at a time is inspirational for me.

Just wanted to wish you my best in your journey and like yourself I need to lose some weight for a specific health issue that is now being aggravated by my weight gain.

Honored Contributor

Hello to you @violann 

I have found, even moreso as I age.  Living 1 day at a time is the way most of us should live, be it for health/weight/recovery, or just because.

Even as an eternal optimist that always sees a "light at the end of a long tunnel", my way over the last almost 20 years, has been 1 day, do the best one can, and when tomorrow comes, do the same.

Wasn't that long ago I told, almost day by day, my long recovery, which included lowering my weight, from the physically most weak point of my life. It was more than 400 of those 1 day at a time recoveries. Throw in a broken rib and nose, and a hernia surgery into the mix, and it seemed even longer.

You know a lot of my medical adventures and attempted recoveries after each one. This last one was by far the slowest of any of those many recoveries, mostly because I had never started from a physical condition so low.

Now I have been, and still am, close to my best physical fitness level, ever, and at my most advanced age. It is hard even for me to fathom how great I feel, even moreso yesterday after my 2 hour ice skating session,  with lots of vigorous fast skating and quick hockey stopping, as part my love of skating.

Starting on my treadmill at 2mph for 2 minutes was the beginning of my "1 day at a time recovery" to where I am so happy to be today. Little gains on a day to day basis add up to massive overall gains(I ain't talking weight) many of those days. I decided I no longer wanted to weigh in at reasonable 155lbs. So I  decided to slowly drop it down to my present 135-140lb best skating weight.

I have never been one that wanted, or cared, to know my daily weight, too many variables like fluid and food working it's way through the digestive tract. My choice was never more than every 2 weeks. Easy for me to tell close to my weight just from skating.

Sounds like you found the way that works for you. Congrats and I am very happy for you.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut   John--you know your weight if you can still get y our pants on!  Woman Surprised  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee @Great accomplishments with your lifestyle changes and you have begun to reap the rewards.You got this!

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Hello to you @violann 

I have found, even moreso as I age.  Living 1 day at a time is the way most of us should live, be it for health/weight/recovery, or just because.

Even as an eternal optimist that always sees a "light at the end of a long tunnel", my way over the last almost 20 years, has been 1 day, do the best one can, and when tomorrow comes, do the same.

Wasn't that long ago I told, almost day by day, my long recovery, which included lowering my weight, from the physically most weak point of my life. It was more than 400 of those 1 day at a time recoveries. Throw in a broken rib and nose, and a hernia surgery into the mix, and it seemed even longer.

You know a lot of my medical adventures and attempted recoveries after each one. This last one was by far the slowest of any of those many recoveries, mostly because I had never started from a physical condition so low.

Now I have been, and still am, close to my best physical fitness level, ever, and at my most advanced age. It is hard even for me to fathom how great I feel, even moreso yesterday after my 2 hour ice skating session,  with lots of vigorous fast skating and quick hockey stopping, as part my love of skating.

Starting on my treadmill at 2mph for 2 minutes was the beginning of my "1 day at a time recovery" to where I am so happy to be today. Little gains on a day to day basis add up to massive overall gains(I ain't talking weight) many of those days. I decided I no longer wanted to weigh in at reasonable 155lbs. So I  decided to slowly drop it down to my present 135-140lb best skating weight.

I have never been one that wanted, or cared, to know my daily weight, too many variables like fluid and food working it's way through the digestive tract. My choice was never more than every 2 weeks. Easy for me to tell close to my weight just from skating.

Sounds like you found the way that works for you. Congrats and I am very happy for you.

hckynut

@hckynut...another inspirational post. Thanks for your contributions as I enjoy reading how you started healthwise at some low points in your life and ended up doing so very well.

Honored Contributor

Hey @Sooner ,

And who said I wear the pants here? 

=^..^=

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

Hey @Sooner ,

And who said I wear the pants here? 

=^..^=

hckynut

@hckynut   I am positive you mean that figuratively rather than literally!  Woman Embarassed  Woman Wink  

(P.S. Cats will wear the pants if you and your sweetie let them get away with it!)

Respected Contributor

@hckynut  Awesome post!!  I needed to hear that or should I say "read that" ....thank you for sharing....when I am getting abit down in the dumps with my own struggles a post like yours helps me get my perspective back on track Woman Very Happy