Respected Contributor

Re: DH doctor appointment and diet suggested- need more info

@SouthernBee wrote:

Copy of the shopping list. Trying to get a better copy.E4F53AAA-6A4D-4985-BC49-4DABAF97534C.jpegSouthern Bee 

I zoomed in best I could to see what's on the list....sure looks more like a vegetarian diet but no grains.  

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

Copy of the shopping list. Trying to get a better copy.E4F53AAA-6A4D-4985-BC49-4DABAF97534C.jpegSouthern Bee 

I zoomed in best I could to see what's on the list....sure looks more like a vegetarian diet but no grains.  

It is most definitely Not a ketogenic diet. Very confusing exactly what it is.. @tsavorite .

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 : Now you understand why I was awake most of the night reading and very confused 🤷‍♀️. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom : Ok- I am now really hungry. Just finished a bottle water and started doing laundry. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1 : DH will eat yellow and zucchini squash and egg plant when I roast them. I use olive oil and lemon pepper. I am thinking about healthy sheet pan meals for something different. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee 

I saw where he ate out & had potatoes, rice, etc.

At home, 

Cook him potatoes....but no added fat.

Cook him rice....but no added fat.

Cook him the beans....but no added fat.

Eliminate all animal products & byproducts which have

tons of saturated fat.

Eliminate the fat.

Eat tons of starchy goodness & vegetables...but no fat and

the weight will fall off...and more importantly, health gets better.

This doesn’t have to be difficult.

Eating this way is simple...and highly effective....and very healthy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just have to shake my head that any poster on this board would think they are qualified to give you diet advice that contradicts what a treating physician has said.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Keto, or any other eating plan, the OP's husband is being treated by a physician. We aren't privvy to the ins and outs of the medical care provided, what is going on or the reasoning the doctor suggested what he did.  

There is a lot of free information about Keto on-line and there are apps as well.  Check Pinterest for menu/food ideas. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11@SouthernBee  I forgot to say potatoes/starches are not on the list and cheese too which I believe vegetarians eat.

It kinda looks like a hybird....keto only in the sense you can have real butter and some olive oil....but zero real meat of any kind...plus leafy greens which are in keto and paleo diets.

Then it all seems more vegan in some ways and vegetarian together....bit's and pieces.

Since eggs are allowed you get still some protein BUT I know I can't eat many eggs...just not a big taste for them.  I am thinking that your husband better like that beyond meat stuff alot....cause zero meat on this diet is gonna be a BIG change for him.  

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Trinity11 : Now you understand why I was awake most of the night reading and very confused 🤷‍♀️. Southern Bee 

I can understand why @SouthernBee . Did you read my post up thread about a ketogenic diet? If his physician told him to eat "keto" friendly foods, then he can be sure he is in ketosis by purchasing Keto Strips.

Is your husband's physician a board certified physician or is he an alternative medicine practitioner?

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Trinity11@SouthernBee  I forgot to say potatoes/starches are not on the list and cheese too which I believe vegetarians eat.

It kinda looks like a hybird....keto only in the sense you can have real butter and some olive oil....but zero real meat of any kind...plus leafy greens which are in keto and paleo diets.

Then it all seems more vegan in some ways and vegetarian together....bit's and pieces.

Since eggs are allowed you get still some protein BUT I know I can't eat many eggs...just not a big taste for them.  I am thinking that your husband better like that beyond meat stuff alot....cause zero meat on this diet is gonna be a BIG change for him.  

I have no idea why a physician would tell a patient to do a ketogenic diet and give him a diet plan in print that has little to nothing to do with a true ketogenic diet. The fake meats are unhealthy and are loaded with sodium. Something is missing in the equation...