Respected Contributor

DH Generator (Pacemaker) Experience

[ Edited ]

For about a year he has had very bad passibg out or nearly passing out experiences, enough to call the paramedics and go to the ER. Once they thought  he hit his head so they did a CT scan, it came out alright.

This has gone on and increased lately, until week before last, he had one trip to the ER, the next day, again, BUT, he was only weak.  I got smart and loaded him up and took him to a Trauma 1 hospital, about 25 miles from here  where his cardiologists are anyway.

He was admitted immediately and in a room in an hour. They first checked the pacer, and fpund the battery was low but could be used for awhile. Two days of tests and they did major heart surgery on it.

It became more major because they immediately found one of the leads (wire) to his heart had frayed completely and he wasn't getting blood flow to about half his heart. It had to be replaced, going into  the heart to get the bad wire and back with a new one.

Thank God we went there. His  cardiologists had a round table discussion first and decided it  had to be something with it. 

He is doing well now and feels so much better. This didn't show up on his pacer checks by the way.

Just thought I'd  share five days in the hospital.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

Re: DH Generator (Pacemaker) Experience

So glad this scary experience turned out well for both of you.   Medical devices do malfunction more often than we realize, and I am glad you followed your instinct to take him to the facility where his cardiac doctors could find, and fix the problem.  Prayers that your husband continues to do well.