Honored Contributor

Re: DD's lack of weight loss/depression

@sarahpanda,

I would urge your daughter to focus more on establishing her daily food and exercise routine, and stay away from the scale for awhile.  

The scale is exactly why we get discouraged because we want to see lower numbers immediately, and it's disheartening when there's no immediate drop.   Urge her to wait until her body gives her a sure sign, like a loose waistband in a skirt or jeans.  

Esteemed Contributor

It's not clear why she's depressed.  Is it because after two weeks and no weight loss or was she already depressed?

I agree with what has been said upthread, in that she should have a realistic weight loss goal, realistic time frame, be honest about the calories being consumed and be realistic about the amount the exercise she is willing to do.

I have a Weight Watchers scales, it is pretty accurate in that it matches the scale at my doctor's office.  Also, it is better to weigh the same time, once a week, preferably nude or wearing the same clothes.  You'll make yourself nuts weighing everyday or multiple times a day.

Another good idea shared by a poster, was going by the fit of some Levis.  The fit of clothing is great indicator of what is going on with our bodies. @sarahpanda 

Valued Contributor

If I could add a few things in  maybe helping your daughter in her journey ,2 weeks is to short and DON'T be so hard on yourself.

FINALLY I was   able to lose weight 45 lbs and lots of inches,still want to lose a few more pounds.

All my life I tried and tried  all different diets and nothing ever worked .

I am  a senior now but thought never to late to try to  get healthy.

Heard about intermittent fasting  so I chose to add that to my long list of trying to lose weight. My thought was how could I not eat breakfast just black coffee ,but after a week or two it became so much easier I did 16-8 that means I stopped eating at 8 PM then that started the 16 hours of fasting , no food but remember many of those hours are sleeping hours. There were days that I went even  longer  with just coffee till maybe 3 in the afternoon so that was19 hour of fasting it was unbelievable that I could go that long ,so then it was 5 hours of being able to eat healthy meal instead of 8 hours.

I did find lots of information on the internet. A good website I liked to  listen to was Six Miles To Supper. I heard  at the same time about KETO , didn't do keto but did learn about  one product that people used it was  Dr. Colbert  KETO MCT COFFEE CREAMER, there are other brands but I liked that brand,comes in different flavors,coconut, vanilla ,hazelnut and unflavored, this powder   took away my cravings all morning ,helped with mood swings also and let me have my coffee ,as black coffee was something I did not like.

Once your cravings get under control you will not even think of things, like for example I've loved ice  cream all my life I  couldn't leave a supermarket without getting it .Now  haven't had any craving for it in over a year and  half. That is why I know you have to first get cravings under control and MCT POWDER   did it for me along with less hours of eating but not feeling hungry either.

Think as long as you don't  have any underlying medical conditions  think it is  just a new learning experience of when you eat.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda w-rote:

My DD has been on a diet for 2 weeks....without losing a pound.  She is very depressed.  I don't have the details of how she is trying to  lose weight but she sure needs some inspiration...Any suggestions? TIA

@sarahpanda 

How old is DD?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

The only way to lose weight is to expend more calories than you take in period.  Be it through exercise or less calories than you were eating before perferably a combination of both.   If you have in fact cut your calories, and have upped your normal amount of movement and have not lost weight then you need to check with your doctor to find a diet that works for your metabolism.  I know why I haven't lost weight.  I am a stress eater.  I lie to myself.  I tell myself I've been good when I really haven't then I'm bummed when I get on the scale.  Most of us mean well and then beat ourselves up when we fall short of our expecations and the overeating cycle begins.  .The really biggest part of losing weight is being honest with ourselves and then actually burning more calories than we take in.  Unless you have a metabolic issue you should lose weight.    

Respected Contributor

@hckynut  DD is in her early 40's.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sarahpanda wrote:

My DD has been on a diet for 2 weeks....without losing a pound.  She is very depressed.  I don't have the details of how she is trying to  lose weight but she sure needs some inspiration...Any suggestions? TIA

@sarahpanda I can empathize with your concern, but there is so much that goes into this.  You don't know the plan your daughter is following, so you likely don't know if she is following a scientific diet or if she's making it up herself and hoping for the best, or even if she's cheating and not admiting it.  If she is, she won't lose.  If her body isn't getting sound nutrition it will go into starvation mode.  I can't tell you how many times I've tried and failed.  It wasn't until I committed to healthy keto in June 2019 that I found a way of eating that I could totally get on board with. A couple of months later I added intermittent fasting daily.  I've lost 118 lbs in the past 16 months.  The food is delicious and satisfying and I'm not missing out on anything.  It does take committment to be an ingredient nerd, weigh, measure, and plan foods, but it works and would be worth the investement in herself.  I'm not talking dirty or lazy keto, but true healthy keto.  If you have any questions, let me know.  I'm happy to help you.

Honored Contributor

HI @Mimi NY ! Although you and I aren't doing exactly the same things, we share a lot of other things that helped us battle our life long food foibles.

My IF "window" is pretty tight- about 21/3, but it seems to work for me. 

I'm interested in your Keto coffee creamer. I've had my morning coffee with plan 1/2 & 1/2, but I try to be open to ways to make my own program even better.  

There CAN be a solution for all of us, no matter how hard we have to look, or how long it takes to find it.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda 

Hormonal changes start in the early 40's, maybe she needs a physical before embarking on any diet changes

@sarahpanda wrote:

@hckynut  DD is in her early 40's.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@sarahpanda @Tell her to try the app My Fitnesss Pal. She will be able to see exactily how many calories and nutrients she is taking in, get realistic goals and keep track of what she is eating.