Honored Contributor

Re: DD's lack of weight loss/depression

@mom2four0418 wrote:

00CECD21-1BD9-4845-8F28-0295C7267BA6.jpeg

Hi @mom2four0418 - Solely in the interest I hope you will allow for consideration that for me, and only speaking for myself, when confronted by the necessity of losing more than 100 pounds, this book was not helpful.

I found it to be a very compassionate reading experience, but not helpful..

If it was a key to your successful effort to become healthier, Blessings!

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

Can anyone recommend a reliable brand of  'weight scales'?  She said hers can read differently  every time she steps on it !!

Vitafit digital weight scale @sarahpanda . $15.99 on Amazon. I use this on a daily basis and it is very accurate.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

My DD has been on a diet for 2 weeks....without losing a pound.  She is very depressed.  I don't have the details of how she is trying to  lose weight but she sure needs some inspiration...Any suggestions? TIA

I developed a severe eating disorder at age 18, and kept it for 50 years.

When I learned, at age 69, hat I would become a grandmother, I decided as the oldest and sickliest grandparent 2 be, that I had to do right by that baby.

I developed a list of ALL the ways I defeated my own efforts to lose weight, and ALL the things I could think of that MIGHT help me do so, and started, no nonsense, to do what was potentially useful and stop doing what wasn't. It worked.

I NEVER refer to my life plan as a "diet" because diets were ALWAYS something I started and stopped. I've really never stopped doing my original plan for the last 7 years. I've lost about 105 pounds.

Your daughter needs to focus on her health and the fuel her body needs, and she needs to develop HER tools for HERSELF. In my experience, most dieticians have a pretty narrow scope as far as dealing with eating disorders/morbid or super morbid obesity.

I have no sense of pride or self congratulation for what I've done, but I am profoundly relieved to weigh 100 pounds less.

Unless your DD seizes on this task as a commitment to HER VALUE as the fine person she is, it will be a tough haul. For me, having done the work of preparation, it was relatively easy. NO KIDDING!

Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda 

I get the feeling that your daughter has unrealistic weight loss goals.

I get the feeling that every time that she steps on the scale, she expects to see a huge weight loss, so she weighs herself many times every day.

She needs to speak with her doctor, a dietician/nutritionist, and a personal trainer.

They will set her on the right path.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Regular Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

My DD has been on a diet for 2 weeks....without losing a pound.  She is very depressed.  I don't have the details of how she is trying to  lose weight but she sure needs some inspiration...Any suggestions? TIA

Sometimes you lose inches first without showing an actual loss on the scale, so tell your daughter to take some measurements (i.e. around bust, waist, hips, arms, thighs, wrist, ankle, etc) and start keeping track once a week or once a month.

Also taking both face photos and full length photos in the same outfit might help show differences in the short or long run too.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@sarahpanda 

I haven't read every post in this thread, so sorry if this is a repeat answer.

Since you don't have nearly enough information, the best you can do is get her to talk and LISTEN.   What is she doing?  How is she going about this diet, and what are her expectations?  Has she spoken to a nutritionist ... or even her doctor or is she just "winging it"?

Anyone who's ever lost weight knows it's not just calories in versus calories out.  Not everyone can lose weight on diets like Nutrisystem which has a lot of carbs and sugar.  But, some people do.  Honestly, I have no idea why.

Personally, I lost 23 pounds in 2 1/2 months on a low carb (not keto) diet and found it to be pretty easy to stick to.  That's what worked for me.  Before I started, I had read Dr Stephen Gullo's book Thin Tastes Better.   Just the information about "trigger foods" was life altering.   (You can get her a slightly-used book on Ebay for about $4 if you're so-inclined.  Have it mailed to her if you're not in the same town.)

My point is she may be doing a lot of the right things, but may be on the wrong diet - for her.  She needs a good plan, whatever it is.

IMO, A dieter's mantra should be:  Planning is better than willpower.

Esteemed Contributor

Your DD is brave and strong to admit to a problem.  That is a wonderful first step.

Every family member or friend I have seen with weight challenge actually is not fully aware of what they eat.  It takes work to adjust eyes and forks.

Frequent Contributor

I found this article very helpful in dropping weight I had put on after fracturing my hip a few years ago.  

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-many-calories-per-day

The best thing I did for myself was to start walking on a regular basis.  I go out every day, weather permitting for about an hour sometimes longer. I did start out slow maybe 20 minutes at first and gradually worked my way up. 

I did not see any results for about a month but it did happen.  My weight is back down to where it was prior to my injury.  I have to be honest I did not think I would lose all of it because I am in my early 60's but I did do it.

Good luck to your daughter--Karen

Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

Can anyone recommend a reliable brand of  'weight scales'?  She said hers can read differently  every time she steps on it !!

Forget the scale - depressing!  Get a pair of Levi's or any non-stretch jean with a zip-fly and button:  the looser it gets to close, you're losing; tighter, oh-oh! that's a gain.

Honored Contributor

It may take longer than two weeks to see weigh loss.  

I suggest she weighs herself first thing in the morning with no clothes on once a week.